Is an MPH worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaos

Web Crawler
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just exploring options...I tried a search, but didn't get any answers. In case I don't get in this year, should I try for an MPH? How time consuming is it? What can u do with an MPH degree? I must admit, I don't know much about it. A little expert opinion would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

click this
or
click here

or do searches for "public health" in pre allo. public health has been a very worthwhile experience for me personally, and it only takes 2 years, tops, to complete a masters, and even as an epidemiology student, which is the hardest concentration, its not stressful at all. if you have any specific questions feel free to pm me, or maybe some of the other PHers out their (adcadet, lola, epi, dr.mom i think) have some input

Originally posted by DW
click this
or
click here

or do searches for "public health" in pre allo. public health has been a very worthwhile experience for me personally, and it only takes 2 years, tops, to complete a masters, and even as an epidemiology student, which is the hardest concentration, its not stressful at all. if you have any specific questions feel free to pm me, or maybe some of the other PHers out their (adcadet, lola, epi, dr.mom i think) have some input

Really? Wow, that's a short time (2 yrs). Yay, thanks a bunch! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link..it was an interesting read.

Even though I am going for my MPA (focus in health administration) it's good to see what everyone else has been up to and how they intend on using their master's degree.

Did most of u MPHers take the GRE or did the schools accept ur MCATs?

Originally posted by kaos
Did most of u MPHers take the GRE or did the schools accept ur MCATs?

some schools will let the mcat substitue for the gre if you apply to their md/mph program. depends on the school. dont get too worried, the gre was a walk in the park compared to the mcat, one practice test was all the prep i needed.

i took the GRE -- very easy compared to the MCAT. you don't have to study! it's basically like taking the SAT's over again.

as for whether or not getting an mph is "worth it". well, it really depends what you want to get out of it. i wouldn't suggest doing it if you're not truly interested in public health. i also wouldn't suggest doing it as a way to get into med school, but i know some people do that. why spend all that money when you could work and live in the real world instead? there are plenty of work experiences you can have that will expose you to the medical field more than getting an mph will. wouldn't it be nice to save up some money instead of going into more debt?! if you still plan to go to medical school i would only recommend getting the degree if you plan to use it. for example, if you want to go into research or hold a public health leadership position.

Agreed Lola! I chose respiratory therapy-for BS- because I was really interested in how environmental diseases result in the overall health of the individual.That still is a focus I have.I like soooo many things in the healthcare,I have a hard time deciding sometimes :D .But I have considered environmental health as well.I never actually considered the Public Health until I read the link!! Very informative and related to my interests.I would not be using it as a "stepping stone".:eek:
Thanks for all the good info guys.It has amazed me how I have been able to use so much of the information here.:)