is an undergrad journal publication as good as a professional journal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbaek

One day at a time....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok ok, I know that publishing as a first author is Neuroscience blows any first-author publication in a respectable undergrad journal, but does it really matter that much to admissions committee? do they look more for the first-authorship rather than the journal it was published or do they give more weight to a person's research experience if they published in a professional journal without the first-author.

in other words, to what extent should a publication be worth, albeit in a undergrad or professional journal?

Members don't see this ad.

bbaek said:
ok ok, I know that publishing as a first author is Neuroscience blows any first-author publication in a respectable undergrad journal, but does it really matter that much to admissions committee? do they look more for the first-authorship rather than the journal it was published or do they give more weight to a person's research experience if they published in a professional journal without the first-author.

in other words, to what extent should a publication be worth, albeit in a undergrad or professional journal?

Hey, I think admission committees care more about grades and MCAT score than what journal you publish for. Research just looks pretty on the side. Don't worry about stupid stuff like that.

bbaek said:

i'd say it's more important to focus on getting great recs, experiences to talk about/write about in the app, and independent study. in the last respect, publishing in an undergraduate journal, doing a study for academic credit, or anything involving you in the process is great.

however, i at least see the peer review journal publication as a test of depth to your work, saying that it was more than just a 2-3 month part time stint that people love to use as resume padders. and i think adcoms would see it this way too. however, this is a far cry from saying "hey, i was a coauthor cuz i was so great" cuz that's just not true; it's more a reflection of how your mentors' work was going. so don't bug out if you dont' have that publication; you'll be fine if your work was something you put time into and gained experience from.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's kind of an iffy situation. If you were just tacked onto the "et al" group of a bunch of authors in an article in a well-known journal, that's probably less significant than if you took initiative to do your own experiment, write an article, and get that published even if it's in a lesser journal.

undergrad journals are not peer-reviewed (peers that count, i guess). it's definitely not the same. and research does matter to some schools, especially HST or even stanford

it is better than nothing though