Is anesthesiology not DO friendly anymore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timeless:)

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the match rate and it was brutal. It seems like the last 2 years match rate shows that it is not DO friendly any more. Am i right? Pretty sad about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes - although this is more likely due to more people being interested in it as opposed to programs suddenly becoming anti-DO. Every specialty that allows you to make $$$$$ with a comfortable lifestyle - psych, PMR, anesthesia, DR, etc, has skyrocketed in competitiveness.

Members don't see this ad :)
my thinking is that the crash of EM this cycle resulted in displacement of residency applications to fields such as anesthesiology and radiology. I believe this is not permanent and we will see a cycle of upward and downward trend until EM restabilizes! Historically match rates fluctuate

my thinking is that the crash of EM this cycle resulted in displacement of residency applications to fields such as anesthesiology and radiology. I believe this is not permanent and we will see a cycle of upward and downward trend until EM restabilizes! Historically match rates fluctuate
Could you elaborate on "crash of EM?" Is it due to Covid? I would like to know more. Thanks

Could you elaborate on "crash of EM?" Is it due to Covid? I would like to know more. Thanks

Straight from the EM forums, they laid it out all nice and pretty for everyone.

Straight from the EM forums, they laid it out all nice and pretty for everyone.
Yikes... just yikes

... until EM restabilizes!
Seeing as all the groups with some amount of influence are doing nothing about the blight of EM, this will take a long time. Assuming EM ever recovers, that is. An EM comeback would depend on the roping in of midlevels, the closure of multiple trash residency programs, or ideally both. And I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for our admin and corporate overlords to do that.

So yeah, many would-be EM applicants will continue to apply anesthesia for quite a long time, maybe forever.

The harsh truth is that very few fields are actually “DO friendly” more like DO tolerant. The reality is that most program in most fields would rather fill with all US MDs, but that just isn’t realistic because there are thousands more slots than US MD graduates. This is seen quite plainly in how when a specialty has less US MD applicants, lo and behold it suddenly becomes more “DO friendly.” It’s also why fields like plastic surgery, who have more elite US MDs applying than spots, have extremely few DOs and some years none.

This is what is happening with fields like anesthesia and radiology, and why you see hoards of DOs matching into EM. The phenomena is exacerbated even further by the ever continuing expansion of medical schools (MD and DO, but even moreso for DO) that inherently increases the applicant to spot ratio across the board.

Specialties wax and wane in competitiveness, it can be hard to predict exactly what will happen a few years down the road.

Except for EM. That runaway train is fully off the rails and is actively in a complete specialty meltdown and it isn’t going to get any better for a LONG time, if ever.

Reactions: 5 users
Anesthesiology is definitely not closed to DOs, but it is less friendly than it was 3-5 years ago. My program is traditionally competitive but pretty DO friendly. We've had DO chiefs and multiple DOs on faculty.

My class has multiple DOs in it. We didn't match a single DO this year. I think we had one last year. It is getting more competitive for everyone, and unfortunately DOs are probably having a harder time than mid-tier MD.

That said, anesthesia is definitely not off the table.

Reactions: 1 user