Is anyone getting nervous that med school is CLOSER and CLOSER?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I guess it's because of the new year and I recently attended a financial aid seminar at the school I'm going to. But I'm getting nervous about the whole thing. Not in a bad way, it's not like I'm having second thoughts or anything, its hard to explain. My boyfriend didn't understand what I meant at all. He was all, "why be nervous or scared, this is what we are supposed to do, etc" It's just the whole doing a new thing, I suppose. This is my last semester of undergrad and it will fly by, the first couple weeks of med school will be crazy, adjusting to it all, and my patients are gonna CRAP when they see how young I look...Please tell me some more people are nervous about it all and I'm not the only one...

Members don't see this ad.

I completely relate. I keep saying, "I can't believe it's finally happening!".

I'm more nervous that I won't be going at all, if I don't get in that is!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm more excited than anything... This year hasn't been too much fun at University - a lot of my friends graduated last year and are off doing interesting things, while I'm stuck doing stupid undergraduate courses to finish off my degree! So, I'm really looking forward to September and actually being able to tell people that I am a medical student instead of a premed. :D I'm sure as it comes closer, I'll get more nervous, especially when it comes to dealing with real patients, but for now, I'm looking forward to graduating and moving on with my life! :D

Originally posted by KyGrlDr2B:
•Please tell me some more people are nervous about it all and I'm not the only one...•••

I'm really sorry but you're on your own. Just kidding :D . I was watching T.V yesterday and saw someone drawing blood from a patient. That was when I freaked out and relized that I'll be doing that in a little over a year. Damn! May God help me so I dont kill anyone.

Hey, KyGrl, I know how you feel. I was there at UK this past weekend as well. It was weird setting there among all the other future UK med students. I remember looking at that green flag right behind where the podium was. You know, the flag that said "medicine." I just kept staring at it and thinking, "Wow, I REALLY am going to med school." I must have thought that same thing a thousand times since I got my acceptance letter, but for some reason it just seemed surreal setting there looking at that flag that said "Medicine." It was kinda overwhelming in a way.

Thank goodness you guys agree! Once i got accepted I decided to re-watch THe Making of A Doctor. I just kept getting more nervous the more I watched, I was thinking, Oh God, I can't believe it's almost here.

I remember filling out college apps and writing May 2002 for my anticipated graduation date. That seemed so far away back then! College flew by.

It is a gloriously wonderful thing to be nervous about! Personally, I'm more worried about how I'm going to complete my degree and go on interviews.

I'm getting nervous because I've only received one interview thus far. Prior to applying everyone I talked to was so confident that I would get in that I began to believe them. I am not so confident anymore. I'm nervous that I'll have to apply again next year (which is not so bad in itself) but that I'll have to spend another year at my crummy job or spend the time looking for a better job (I disklike job hunting). Congratulations to you all and I'm hoping to be in your shoes in the near future. Cheers.

I'm excited and nervous but most of all I'm excited and nervous :)

Just a few short months before we start proving we are worthy of these acceptances!!!!

Good luck to all!

Please tell me some more people are nervous about it all and I'm not the only one... ••

Yeah a little nervous I guess....and I am starting in just 3 weeks...better go buy that plane ticket.....and pack....and get all my shots.....

Well, as a fellow attendee of the seminar last Saturday at UK, I felt the same way. I also kept looking over at the standard (I think that's what they call it) for the school of medicine (the green flag) and kept feeling the reality of it all sinking in.

I'd still say that I'm more anxious than nervous, but I am also pretty darn nervous.

Just a side note, but they really should have gotten a bigger room than that atrium for the reception afterward. You could hardly move, and I didn't even bother trying to get a drink or a snack. :) I doubt either mongoose or kygrl were with my wife and I, but we walked around and used the elevators right where the recption was. Were either of you guys with us?

Last week, I had the same exact feeling. I really felt like it was cold feet, but it wasn't. It was more like "wow, what's going on?" It really stressed me out for a bit. I wasn't sure how to handle it. It was pure anxiety - I was very excited, but freaking out, too. Anyway, enough babbling.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Jamie: I kept looking at nametags and a few times I saw a "J" name but it was never you, I found some dude name Joseph about 3 times! I agree that room was small, by the time we got in there I was burning up and just ready to go, lol. I suppose we'll meet this summer.

And mongoose: Have you made a decision yet? (or came close)

Originally posted by KyGrlDr2B:
•I suppose we'll meet this summer.•••

Yeah, I guess so. I didn't know what names to look for, and I was also sweating like a hooker at church. I left after about 20 minutes of that reception. :)

i'm glad you asked, because i am very nervous about medical school being so close too. mostly because i haven't been accepted yet. you think you're nervoius. HA! I'm so nervous i can't even type straight. i'll tell you how i'm feeling around march....

KyGrlDr2B,
Yeah I feel your pain...
It's like the thought of doing soooo much work is scary after just one semester of taking it easy with not so hard classes. EEEkkkk. But for the most part I am excited beyond belief. And still in shock that it's actually gonna happen....

Oh yeah and I laughed about the comment about how your patients are gonna crap when they see how young you look....haha...I have always thought that as well...that and I am going to be a 12 year old looking little blond girl in the middle of an inner city....oh well....

to those of you who are heading to med school in the fall (or sooner)- congratulations, and don't be nervous. if you couldn't handle the workload or the situation, you wouldn't have been accepted. i personally found the transition from college to med school much easier than that from high school to college. less competition, more interesting classes, etc. enjoy your last semester of college-

bud

Hey Demosthenes ,

There was a book recommended by someone on this board called "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie Whoever posted said it was good and it got good reviews on amazon.com--maybe check it out....

You'll be fine. If so many have done it before you--you can do it too. You just have to want it. Good luck and don't forget to have some fun while your at it!

Personally, I'm not that concerned yet. 8 months seems like a long time to me. Grab a brewsky and enjoy yourself!! :cool:

Jamier2 -- I think I saw you, but I am kinda shy and I really don't like big crowds, so I didn't try to talk to you. I don't wanna (possibly) give out your last name or your wife's name, though, so I don't know how to confirm if it was you or not. By the way, if you are the person I think you are, you are much different looking than I had imagined.

KyGrlDr2B -- I haven't fully decided. I am out of state at UK and have been trying to find out what kind of hoops I would have to jump through to obtain in state status. Also, I am waiting on word from Cincinnati, where they have already confirmed that I will be able to obtain in state residency for tuition purposes. I really liked Cincinnati on interview day, and felt that UK was more or less disorganized when I interviewed there. I felt that UK was much more organized on January 5, though, and that is a good sign. Plus, all those free tickets to UK basketball games are SO tempting. I am a big UK basketball fan. Anyway, we will just ahve to see how it all plays out, as I still have 2 interviews to attend, and who knows how much I will like those schools. I would definitely say UK is at the forefront, though. I think I saw you at the financial aid seminar, as well. I know from your previous posts what your first name is, so that was a clue. Like my opinion on Jamier2, if the person I thought was you is really you, then you look nothing like what I expected. If that was you, then you were definitely the hottest future med student in attendance. No doubt about it. Maybe you should worry less about your patients thinking you look young, and more about how to keep them from trying to take you home with them. I know I would be worried if I was your boyfriend! j/k

So, since I know both first names for you guys, I feel it only fair to divulge mine as well. It is Kyle.

Originally posted by Jamier2:
•and I was also sweating like a hooker at church. :) •••

BWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAA! He IS funny, after all! A HA HA HA!

Originally posted by mongoose:
I think I saw you at the financial aid seminar, as well. I know from your previous posts what your first name is, so that was a clue. Like my opinion on Jamier2, if the person I thought was you is really you, then you look nothing like what I expected. If that was you, then you were definitely the hottest future med student in attendance. No doubt about it. Maybe you should worry less about your patients thinking you look young, and more about how to keep them from trying to take you home with them. I know I would be worried if I was your boyfriend! j/k
[/QB]••

Just an FYI: KyGrlDr2B is taken :D .
banana.gif
<--Me (because I date her :D )

FYI --- Stating that she is your gf means he is a little unsure of himself.
You just left the door wide open partner.

WSUreds got me. I've been had :(
Actually I posted that because I'm thrilled to have her, hence the dancing banana man :D . I love everything about her :D .

Originally posted by NastyC5:

Just an FYI: KyGrlDr2B is taken :D .
banana.gif
<--Me (because I date her :D )•••

FYI: And I am married. Just an observation that she was a pretty girl, if in fact the girl I think she is, indeed, her. If you will look closely at my post, you will notice the "j/k" which stands for "just kidding." Sorry if I offended you. I didn't intend it that way. I was actually paying you a compliment by complimenting her. No need to freak out.

Mongoose, No offense was taken I was simply being humurous. It's all good fellas :D I did appreciate the compliment.

*ROLLS EYES* This is stupid.

Jamier2 and mongoose: where were you guys sitting at? Maybe I can figure out if I saw you or not. I was in the middle section about halfway back.

KyGrlDr2B -- I was sitting in the middle aisle of seats, third or fourth row back. I was about in the middle of the aisle (e.g. about 3 seats to the left and 4 seats to the right). Of course, I was there with my wife, who was seated next to me. If I am right about who Jamier2 is, then he was sitting in the right aisle of seats (from speaker's perspective) and was in the seat next to the walkway, in the sixth or seventh row. So, am I right, Jamier2?

Originally posted by Jamier2:
•Well, as a fellow attendee of the seminar last Saturday at UK, I felt the same way. I also kept looking over at the standard (I think that's what they call it) for the school of medicine (the green flag) and kept feeling the reality of it all sinking in.•••

Isn't it kinda weird that thing had pretty much the same effct on both of us? Makes you wonder if it is something subliminal or what.