School that is cheaper (>$110k) or my preferred school which is closer to family?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nc24

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been accepted to KCU-Joplin and Oklahoma State. I have been offered in state tuition at OSU making it around $110k cheaper.

I am from Springfield Mo and value my family highly. Would it be worth it to go to KCU in order to be 60 minutes from home instead of 180? Also, I would be able to do my clinical years in Springfield where I, one day, wish to practice.

Adding more difficulty, I have a significant other who works in Kansas City as an ICU nurse. Joplin is 2.5 hours away from her while Tulsa is 4 hours. Picking Joplin would additionally minimize stressors placed on that relationship.

Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not an expert. Overall, I think one should go with their gut. However, I believe most would generally recommend choosing the cheaper option as you will have job prospects no matter which US med school you attend. However, if you think you would greatly benefit from having the nearby support system of your family and significant other during the busy semesters, I would err to think that would be the school to choose. I'm not sure how KCU chooses rotation sites, but if you can show preference to stay near family, that is another factor to consider your 3rd/4th year as some schools can send you farther away and KCU has many sites. That being said, if you're trying to do a lot of research and apply to more exclusive specialties, you may find it an easier time at OSU though I'm confident KCU has a lot of opportunities for those who seek it. Only you know your financial and relationship situations and will have to try and map out what your life will look like at each of these places 2-4 years out and decide which will lead you to the most peace within these fields. I know I probably rehashed your own thoughts but these are the big aspects I would be focused on in this situation, hope it helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

I have been accepted to KCU-Joplin and Oklahoma State. I have been offered in state tuition at OSU making it around $110k cheaper.

I am from Springfield Mo and value my family highly. Would it be worth it to go to KCU in order to be 60 minutes from home instead of 180? Also, I would be able to do my clinical years in Springfield where I, one day, wish to practice.

Adding more difficulty, I have a significant other who works in Kansas City as an ICU nurse. Joplin is 2.5 hours away from her while Tulsa is 4 hours. Picking Joplin would additionally minimize stressors placed on that relationship.

Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks!
Always go for the cheapest tuition. Your 45 year old self will thank you profusely

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pray that interest rates remain low, but chances are they won't. Not an easy choice, but I would take the $110K discount from your student debt.

If your family can pony up the $110K to keep you near, then we can talk about this. I would make it clear what expectations you must have to your studies as opposed to always being with family. That's a hard adjustment.

Are you going to commute to KCU as that is 60min away or you are renting near KCU? so it is 1 hour vs 3 hours. Once you are in med school you need to focus on your study and if you are not commuting from home everyday go for the cheaper route.

Reactions: 1 users
I would choose the cheaper school. Nothing in life is guaranteed except death as the Kanye would say, so if you're not married already, I wouldn't factor it into the decision making (learnt my lesson).