is anyone going to do this/or do you know if this would be bad to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you guys think it would be a bad idea to not sleep at all the night of august 17th, and then on august 18th sleep at like 3 or 4 pm until 6a.m on test day....giving you a huge amount of sleep without having to take sleeping pills that make you groggy in the morning. it makes sense to me but at the same time it seems like it would be too harsh on your body for some reason to do this. any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

seth03 said:
I was just wondering if you guys think it would be a bad idea to not sleep at all the night of august 17th, and then on august 18th sleep at like 3 or 4 pm until 6a.m on test day....giving you a huge amount of sleep without having to take sleeping pills that make you groggy in the morning. it makes sense to me but at the same time it seems like it would be too harsh on your body for some reason to do this. any thoughts?

Why don't you just take some benadryl (or your non-hangover-causing drug of choice) and go to bed earlier the night before the MCAT and be sure to set your alarm?

Staying up all night 2 nights before sounds utterly silly.

seth03 said:

NO! don't do it. It is going to totally mess up your rhythm and maybe you might lose concentration on the test day.

You might wake up at 12 am buddy and then you have 6 more hours of non sleep.
Personally If I exceed 9 hours a night I get a headache.

Benadryl does sound like a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
tik-tik-clock said:
You might wake up at 12 am buddy and then you have 6 more hours of non sleep.
Personally If I exceed 9 hours a night I get a headache.

Benadryl does sound like a good idea.

If you take it early enough the evening before. Otherwise it might come back and get ya :smuggrin:

seth03 said:
If I have too little or too much sleep I'm don't feel really well.

If you experiment beforehand and it works out for you go for it. Everyone's different.

There is supposedly some evidence that it's not your sleep the night immediately before the test that matters most, but your sleep the night before that.

If this is true (and it does accord with my personal experience), you'd be hosed.

Just something to consider.

seth03 said:

Take it from someone with insomnia...that's a terrible idea. If anything, get as much sleep as you can two nights before.

Yeah, bad idea. You want to make sure you're getting good sleep the week before the test, so that in the event that you have trouble sleeping the night before, it doesn't matter very much because you're well-rested to begin with.

One night of poor sleep, for somebody who's not sleep-deprived, makes very little difference (as someone who frequently has trouble sleeping the night before big events, I know this from experience). But messing up your sleep patterns is not good for you.

thanks so much everybody for your quick and very helpful replies. after reading all these posts, i cant believe i even considered doing this. you guys probably saved me from having to take the mcat twice, if your predictions were accurate, haha.

thanks again. il probably just take half a sleeping pill or something, and make sure to wake up at like 4 a.m. each morning.

seth03 said:

In my experience...this would be really, really not smart.

Think about it...it's the night before the night before that counts...meaning, if you wanna feel good on Saturday...better to get a good rest on Thur. night.

Wow! all these ridiculous threads have been showing up lately. Either people are really bored and sick of studying or losing their mind from studying to much? I might fall into the latter.

seth03 said:

lol.

i acutally did that when i took my mcat. i was a night owl through my entire academic life, so i was naturally worried and followed the scheme you mentioned. funny thing is that i could not get any sleep the day before the big day, despite of that. i think i was too excited(in a happy way) to to take mcat;studied like a demon, knew i was gonna rape it.

took 3 benedryl plus nyquil around 2-3 am but still could not fall asleep.
so i got out of the bed around 6 in the morning, pondering whether i should even take the test. Took 3 spoonful of instant coffee crystal(powder?), went to the test site. i medicated myself with coffee and tyrenol pill during each break and drank 2 large cups of black coffee instead of the well-packed-healthy-bowel-friendly-devised-3-weeks-prior-to-testday-sandwich during lunch break.

anyway, all i remember about that test day are blurred images of myself going to vending machine near the test room, buying frappuchino swallowing tyrenol pills along with it. however, for some reasons i still can remember the sudden primordial urge to empty my bladder during the verbal section, as if it is happening right now.

at the end of bio section, i seriously thought i was gonna collapse and growled like a mad man which obviously drew some unwanted attentions. at that moment, i thought there was no way i would not have alot of mistakes and decided to void it when the protoor gives the chance. unforturnately, i was so tired i forgot to void it, remembering this only after getting in subway.

although i did good(99.9%), i was disappointed since it was not my target score. still i cannot tell whether i could have scored higher even if i have slept the night before the mcat.

but one thing is/was clear. Dont do that ****. i probably scored as high as i did because i studied upto the point where answering mcat question was more like a conditioned response rather than intellectual one.

unless, you are confident that you will score and scored around 40 range consistently on your practice dont do that. if you just focus too hard on sleeping well the night before, chances are, it will work against you. seriously the silent chant of "i need to go to sleep, i still have x hours to sleep" will keep you awake as well as any annoying/loud latino music you hear here in bronx.

if for some reason you could not fall sleep the day before the big day, you will miss any rest you had two days before.

my advice is just dont get too fixated on any aspect of test taking, which includes a good night sleep before the day. spend the last one week as if
you are on vacation with no plan. just try to respond as much as you can to your bodily needs and dont try to control it too much.

p.s. oh yeah, just dont forget to release all your bodily urge(primordial type) at least couple nights before. i am not into the ki/gi stuff but if you get horny during the test that would suck big time. :laugh: