-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Is anyone going to UF?
Started by 2011vet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats to anyone who is. You all had to have impressed the pants off of them.
No, I was rejected from UF after my interview and so was someone else I know who interviewed.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I notice 37 of UF's 88 last year went to UF for undergrad. They are taking care of thier own 1st. Which I can't blame them. If my BS was from UF, I'd deep down hope for a bonus point or too. I think it does make a difference.
I notice 37 of UF's 88 last year went to UF for undergrad. They are taking care of thier own 1st. Which I can't blame them. If my BS was from UF, I'd deep down hope for a bonus point or too. I think it does make a difference.
which is always good to hear....especially since I was accepted to UF for undergrad and chose not to attend, oh well, no regrets.
Yeah, I'm sure that's gotta happen to some degree, but my girlfriend's highly qualified friend from highschool went to UF four the last four years, but he was rejected after the interview. Sucks big time. I'm looking forward to speaking with the Dean next week.I notice 37 of UF's 88 last year went to UF for undergrad. They are taking care of thier own 1st. Which I can't blame them. If my BS was from UF, I'd deep down hope for a bonus point or too. I think it does make a difference.
edit: nevermind
I notice 37 of UF's 88 last year went to UF for undergrad. They are taking care of thier own 1st. Which I can't blame them. If my BS was from UF, I'd deep down hope for a bonus point or too. I think it does make a difference.
yeah, but you also have to think about how many of those are florida residents too...and they have to take a lot of those.
I'm in NO way impling that going there for undergrad is a golden ticket, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt! 🙂
Why don't you email or call them? Dean Thompson always answers promptly.
I did call yesterday and spoke with the admissions coordinator who was not very helpful. I guess if I don't hear anything by Monday I will call the Dean directly.
I notice 37 of UF's 88 last year went to UF for undergrad. They are taking care of thier own 1st. Which I can't blame them. If my BS was from UF, I'd deep down hope for a bonus point or too. I think it does make a difference.
I found this post rather offensive. UF is the best school in the state and one of the top public universities in the country. The sciences at UF are rigourous, and the quality of the students is top notch. Many of the kids in my classes turned down Ivy League schools to go to UF b/c it's so cheap. There are plenty of just as smart and capable students at other state schools, but there's a larger percentage of them at UF. Thus, statistically it makes sense that UF takes a lot of UF students.
I'm in NO way impling that going there for undergrad is a golden ticket, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt! 🙂
Once, again...see above. Just an interesting point, I'm not bashing anyone. Don't be so sensitive.
There are plenty of just as smart and capable students at other state schools, but there's a larger percentage of them at UF. Thus, statistically it makes sense that UF takes a lot of UF students.
Proof? For someone who was offended by philo's benign comment, this statement is pretty ballsy.
They take a lot of UF students because they're 99% in-state applicants, and I'm sure the school would attest to that. You don't see them taking 37 students from Harvard.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cyrille104, you go to Northwestern. What do you know about the state of Florida's public university system? As an anology, UF is the UT Austin of Texas or the UC Berkeley of California. That's my point. Of course 99% of the applicants from UF are in-state, but so are those from other large state schools. Thus, your point is obsolete. Plus you're the one who went on and on about how important prestige of undergrad is.
On a side note because of UF's focus on science/engineering/medicine more pre-health students may choose to attend UF because of all the opportunities to get research exposure or experience (Shands, Brain McKnight Institute, vet school, dental school, pharm school, biomedical engineering, Genetics Institute, IFAS/animal science) and because of the vast array of possible undergraduate science majors they offer.
For those of you who went to other schools, there's a good chance you're as smart or smarter than I am. I'm not claiming superior intelligence. I have friends at UCF and FSU that turned down UF.
On a side note because of UF's focus on science/engineering/medicine more pre-health students may choose to attend UF because of all the opportunities to get research exposure or experience (Shands, Brain McKnight Institute, vet school, dental school, pharm school, biomedical engineering, Genetics Institute, IFAS/animal science) and because of the vast array of possible undergraduate science majors they offer.
For those of you who went to other schools, there's a good chance you're as smart or smarter than I am. I'm not claiming superior intelligence. I have friends at UCF and FSU that turned down UF.
I think there was a miscommunication. I thought when you said that UF has a higher percentage of smart and capable students than other state schools, you meant other flagship state schools across the country like those you mentioned. Sorry 'bout that.
I don't see what this has to do with me advocating top private schools or going to Northwestern, though...If you still have an issue, PM me.
I don't see what this has to do with me advocating top private schools or going to Northwestern, though...If you still have an issue, PM me.
I keep hoping that he tells me he sent me the wrong letter when I talk to him on Tuesday. 😍
Congrats m8511!!
I'm hoping that I find out soon if I got in. I'm going nuts with the anticipation. I heard something the other day that made me very nervous. According to someone in the admissions office, only a handful of the applicants are getting in this year.
I quickly ran to someone else and he said that it's impossible to know how many people are getting in just yet. I don't know if I'll make it until mid-May!!!
I'm hoping that I find out soon if I got in. I'm going nuts with the anticipation. I heard something the other day that made me very nervous. According to someone in the admissions office, only a handful of the applicants are getting in this year.
I quickly ran to someone else and he said that it's impossible to know how many people are getting in just yet. I don't know if I'll make it until mid-May!!!
Any of the rejected talk with the Dean today? How helpful was it?
I'm up tomorrow.
I'm up tomorrow.
pm me...I had my talk already if you want my dirt
Anyone who got in to UF looking for housing? I'm an outta stater looking at some sweet properties to rent near the UF vetschool but I'm needin me some vet/grad students to rent with me- roomates if you will- I've estimated that i need about 2 of them. sweet house, hardwood flo's, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, fenced in back yard - you better believe my dog's coming. 400 bucks a month.. month by month lease... Floridians or out of staters alike. male/female - as long as your wallet supports your share and there are two of you. Lets rent a house and just straight up vet school learnin, dog wrestlin, weeklong studyin, friday night shmoozing, testicle removin', uterus yankin', eye-popping fun. I would say only fun people allowed but that would be discriminatory to un-fun people. So someone- anyone... you interested?
Holy crap. Go UF. wth.
Congrats m8511!!
I'm hoping that I find out soon if I got in. I'm going nuts with the anticipation. I heard something the other day that made me very nervous. According to someone in the admissions office, only a handful of the applicants are getting in this year.
I quickly ran to someone else and he said that it's impossible to know how many people are getting in just yet. I don't know if I'll make it until mid-May!!!
hey, best of luck to you! I'll keep my fingers crossed that we'll be rockin' the swamp together in August 🙂
And I got rejected?? Maybe I'm seeing why that may be a good thing.
I'll send another WTH? on this one.
OK's looking better and better.
To me, if you're advertising you're a UF student, you are now representing that school, whether you like it or not. Just like other professionals. I'm all for humor, but that's a big stretch.
I'll send another WTH? on this one.
OK's looking better and better.
To me, if you're advertising you're a UF student, you are now representing that school, whether you like it or not. Just like other professionals. I'm all for humor, but that's a big stretch.
Just make sure everyone gets this 😀 (On the other thread about UF housing)
You know, we're going to need all the laughs we can get in vet school. If Jcoll's roomie ad offends......well, just relax, ok? To keep it short, I was offended more by others' 'instinct' to jump down a stranger's throat.
Jcoll is a sweetheart and an awesome guy to work and hang out around. We go to school together, but unfortunately, I'm not going to FL. So everyone going to FL and actually looking for roomies, send him a PM. You could not ask for a more laidback guy who will be your bud and never get in your face.
Jesse, glad to see you on SDN!!!! 🙂
You know, we're going to need all the laughs we can get in vet school. If Jcoll's roomie ad offends......well, just relax, ok? To keep it short, I was offended more by others' 'instinct' to jump down a stranger's throat.
Jcoll is a sweetheart and an awesome guy to work and hang out around. We go to school together, but unfortunately, I'm not going to FL. So everyone going to FL and actually looking for roomies, send him a PM. You could not ask for a more laidback guy who will be your bud and never get in your face.
Jesse, glad to see you on SDN!!!! 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K