Is anyone going/went to hunter for postbac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

potentiallymd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know theres a thread on this but it's old, and buried fairly deep into the forums already.

I was just looking for general advice from people who are planning to go or went and graduated from Hunter's premed postbac program?

I will be applying and hopefully starting Fall 2012, I would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't realize you have to apply that far ahead, I'm currently a graduating senior, and would like to start next semester (Fall 2012), since applications for the postbac already closed, is my only option to enroll as a second degree seeking student? would I be able to get into the pre-med classes with this status?

What is better about matriculating as a postbac student vs a 2nd degree student?

It seems like a waste of time to just waste a year to just apply for Fall 2012, any advice?
 
I didn't realize you have to apply that far ahead, I'm currently a graduating senior, and would like to start next semester (Fall 2012), since applications for the postbac already closed, is my only option to enroll as a second degree seeking student? would I be able to get into the pre-med classes with this status?

What is better about matriculating as a postbac student vs a 2nd degree student?

It seems like a waste of time to just waste a year to just apply for Fall 2012, any advice?

If you enroll as a 2nd degree student, you get very low priority in the registration process. You will have a hard time getting into many of the pre-med classes, but if you're persistent, you might get into some of the courses you need. Registration for 2nd degree students is a huge pain, and my best advice to you if you matriculate in Fall 2012 is to be flexible with your schedule (because you might not get the classes you want), and also to just keep trying if registration doesn't work out on the first try.

If you are admitted into the post-bacc program, you get priority registration and thus have a much easier time getting into the courses you need.
 
Last edited:
If you enroll as a 2nd degree student, you get very low priority in the registration process. You will have a hard time getting into many of the pre-med classes, but if you're persistent, you might get into some of the courses you need. Registration for 2nd degree students is a huge pain, and my best advice to you if you matriculate in Fall 2012 is to be flexible with your schedule (because you might not get the classes you want), and also to just keep trying if registration doesn't work out in your favor the first try.

If you are admitted into the post-bacc program, you get priority registration and thus have a much easier time getting into the courses you need.
Given that I can't apply for Fall 2012, being a 2nd degree student is my only option, right?

Will I have trouble registering for Bio I and Chem I? Is there a petition process to get into full classes at Hunter? Anything else I should do or know before applying?
 
Given that I can't apply for Fall 2012, being a 2nd degree student is my only option, right?

Will I have trouble registering for Bio I and Chem I? Is there a petition process to get into full classes at Hunter? Anything else I should do or know before applying?

If you are set on applying for Fall 2012, yes, it would be your only option. I didn't take Bio I at Hunter, but based on what I've seen on the registrar's website, Bio I is a huge class, so you probably stand a good chance of getting in (but perhaps you won't get the most ideal lab time). I'm not sure about Chem I.

Some departments allow for something called "overtallying," where if the class is full, you can show up to the class and the professor will add you to the class. This worked out for me when I took Physics II. However, I believe that the Chem and Bio department do not overtally their courses.

My best advice to you as someone who has spent a couple semesters as a 2nd degree student is to be on top of things. Things can be pretty slow/frustrating at times, but if you're prepared, you'll reduce the amount of stress you have to deal with.
 
If you are set on applying for Fall 2012, yes, it would be your only option. I didn't take Bio I at Hunter, but based on what I've seen on the registrar's website, Bio I is a huge class, so you probably stand a good chance of getting in (but perhaps you won't get the most ideal lab time). I'm not sure about Chem I.

Some departments allow for something called "overtallying," where if the class is full, you can show up to the class and the professor will add you to the class. This worked out for me when I took Physics II. However, I believe that the Chem and Bio department do not overtally their courses.

My best advice to you as someone who has spent a couple semesters as a 2nd degree student is to be on top of things. Things can be pretty slow/frustrating at times, but if you're prepared, you'll reduce the amount of stress you have to deal with.
Thanks for the reply. I just looked up the deadlines, and it says the deadline to apply as a 2nd degree student for the Fall is Feb 1st (source) what would you recommend me to do right now? Am I best off just applying right now and just doing whatever I can to get in? Or waiting until I go to the postbac orientation in a week and see what they tell me I should do...

Thanks!

Also, if it makes any difference, I did attend Hunter for my freshman year of college, so I can also be considered a re-admitted student possibly? Would this change anything?
 
Thanks for the reply. I just looked up the deadlines, and it says the deadline to apply as a 2nd degree student for the Fall is Feb 1st (source) what would you recommend me to do right now? Am I best off just applying right now and just doing whatever I can to get in? Or waiting until I go to the postbac orientation in a week and see what they tell me I should do...

Thanks!

I'm not an expert on this, but you might be able to apply as a non-degree student (LINK). I'm not sure how that works though. If it's convenient for you to attend the orientation I'm sure they could answer that question.

Also, if it makes any difference, I did attend Hunter for my freshman year of college, so I can also be considered a re-admitted student possibly? Would this change anything?

Yeah I'm not sure, that's a question someone at Hunter would have to answer.
 
Looks like Spring 2013 would your earliest start time as non-degree although I'd confirm that.

In terms of getting into classes, it is easiest to get into classes without labs. At Hunter lab space is pretty tight. But classes like calc, stats, gen chem (has separate lab course) and others are fairly easy to register or even over-tally into.

A spring start might not be horrible. You could get done with whatever math pre-reqs you need and possibly line up clinical volunteering and then start the program in earnest in fall 2013. It may seem like a long time away but there are probably a ton of things for you to do in the interim to round out your application before starting.
 
Looks like Spring 2013 would your earliest start time as non-degree although I'd confirm that.

In terms of getting into classes, it is easiest to get into classes without labs. At Hunter lab space is pretty tight. But classes like calc, stats, gen chem (has separate lab course) and others are fairly easy to register or even over-tally into.

A spring start might not be horrible. You could get done with whatever math pre-reqs you need and possibly line up clinical volunteering and then start the program in earnest in fall 2013. It may seem like a long time away but there are probably a ton of things for you to do in the interim to round out your application before starting.
Yeah, it seems like the deadline passed, but since it's rolling admissions I might still have a chance, I'm going to to attend the infosession this week and try to ask the people there for more information about the process.

I also attended Hunter my freshman year in college so I could apply as a readmitted student, so this might be a better option, although I'm not sure and will try to find out at the infosession.

Thanks!
 
Current Hunter postbacc here as well.

You should be able to start in the fall either as a second degree or non matriculated student depending on how the rolling admissions thing works. Hunter also has a summer session which is often easier to get spots in than the regular semester classes. All the sciences are offered in summer except bio. I don't see any reason to wait a full year before starting.

I'm in the formal program, but I know many people who aren't who have managed to get into all of the same classes that I've taken by keeping careful track of open seats, or talking to professors and showing up to the first day of classes. My rule of thumb about these things in general, and Hunter in particular, is that if you really want something just go for it and don't accept no for an answer unless you've exhausted all possible options. The first person you talk to (even if they are running an info session) might not actually have all the correct information, or know what's best in your situation. Hopefully they will give you good tips, but if not, don't give up!
 
Quick question, when do they send out acceptance/rejection emails? Does anyone know?
I found calling hunter admissions (and keep calling until someone picks up) pretty helpful in finding out the status of my application... I would suggest doing that.
 
hi potentially - i tried doing the same thing (calling hunter's main line, not the program #), and they won't give me an answer...they said i'll get a decision in the mail in 2 weeks...
you get a confirmation of your status?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The last time I checked my status was to see if Hunter got all my files so maybe I'll check back. And the only email I got from the postbacc office was when I sent in my supplemental application. I guess we'll just have to continue waiting...
 
hi potentially - i tried doing the same thing (calling hunter's main line, not the program #), and they won't give me an answer...they said i'll get a decision in the mail in 2 weeks...
you get a confirmation of your status?

I didn't apply to the postbac program, I just applied as a 2nd degree student...
 
is anyone having success on the portal site for an admission decision?

Nope, I always had better luck calling the admissions office, and calling again once they forward me to someone who didn't pick up, and then again, eventually it works. Good luck!
 
i think it might be a little different because you didn't apply to the program - the admissions office at hunter wouldn't give me an answer, even when I spoke to an actual person at the office