Is anyone here a "right brain" type person?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashley1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like everyone on here is the "left brain" type person, so I'm wondering if you were to assess yourself, if anyone on here would be "right brain" instead. If so, how does that mesh into all the science that you study? And have you always been the "right brain" type person and have you always wanted to be a doctor? I'm interested to see if anyone responds. I don't personally believe in the right and left brain idea, but i do think the criteria for each shows that there are two very different types of people and it seems that all the premeds that I know have that "left brain" type of personality.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah... there's no such thing as a left vs. right brain person. And if there was, you just need to use the other half.

It seems like everyone on here is the "left brain" type person, so I'm wondering if you were to assess yourself, if anyone on here would be "right brain" instead. If so, how does that mesh into all the science that you study? And have you always been the "right brain" type person and have you always wanted to be a doctor? I'm interested to see if anyone responds. I don't personally believe in the right and left brain idea, but i do think the criteria for each shows that there are two very different types of people and it seems that all the premeds that I know have that "left brain" type of personality.

50/50 split here -- the psych tests even say so. I'm a musician but also really interested in science. I guess my username sorta says it all!

...And there are theories about right or left brain dominance, although I am not so sure there has been much actual evidence for it....

Members don't see this ad :)
50/50 split here -- the psych tests even say so. I'm a musician but also really interested in science. I guess my username sorta says it all!

...And there are theories about right or left brain dominance, although I am not so sure there has been much actual evidence for it....

Same here. I like the objectivity of science and the freedom of social sciences/humanities and art.

So what I'm getting here is that music2doc and lobo that you guys are well balanced :)

At this point in my life though it seems like every pre med I know personally is that strict left brain, and I'm almost wondering if it helps a person be more successful in the science classes or something like that

50/50 here, I think.

And I thinking being ASD would help you in your classes more. Less needing to go socialize and enjoyment of categorizing and being analytical = more study time.

That's something they tell you when you're a kid. When you get older, you learn that that actually isn't true. :)

I don't think theres a left dominance on SDN. If you go to the MCAT forum plenty of people not majoring in science score well above 33+ on the MCAT

I love being creative! I have spent much of my childhood making hand made b-day cards, drawing portraits, learning how to use different coloring techniques. Unfortunately, ever since I have been engrossed in the life of a pre-med, the only creative aspect of my life is when I get hired as a henna artist. One of my life long wish is to learn how to paint. Maybe someday, I will find the time to do this. :)

Wow I'm loving the responses here! I guess i was totally wrong about mainly lefters being here, so I'm really happy. I started sketching my gross anatomy diagrams and painting different phys processes and it was fun, but not the most time efficient. I just love art, painting, drawing, museums, music, opera, memorizing and reciting poetry, classical guitar, designing and sewing gowns, beading etc.. It can get lonely sometimes thinking I was the only one but I'm really glad to hear that's not the case!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I'm loving the responses here! I guess i was totally wrong about mainly lefters being here, so I'm really happy. I started sketching my gross anatomy diagrams and painting different phys processes and it was fun, but not the most time efficient. I just love art, painting, drawing, museums, music, opera, memorizing and reciting poetry, classical guitar, designing and sewing gowns, beading etc.. It can get lonely sometimes thinking I was the only one but I'm really glad to hear that's not the case!

Sampling bias and Social desirability bias.

the lefty's can't be bothered with engaging in a thread as subjective and intuitive as this... and even if they could, why would they want to admit being a dull lefty bound by logic? ;)

Last edited:
Me and most of my science buddies are "left-sided", which is typically associated with logic and mathematical reasoning.

Sampling bias and Social desirability bias.

the lefty's can't be bothered with engaging in a thread as subjective and intuitive as this... and even if they could, why would they want to admit being a dull lefty bound by logic?

I don't think lefty's are dull by any means, but I've just found that people either don't believe I'm a "pre med" or don't believe I'm a "right brain." which is why I asked, although I really hope I didn't offend anyone.

I love being creative! I have spent much of my childhood making hand made b-day cards, drawing portraits, learning how to use different coloring techniques. Unfortunately, ever since I have been engrossed in the life of a pre-med, the only creative aspect of my life is when I get hired as a henna artist. One of my life long wish is to learn how to paint. Maybe someday, I will find the time to do this. :)

I've never been able to do portraits thats awesome! That requires a lot of talent I can never get people's noses right.

How long have you been doing henna? I tried it once and it was a disaster, I want to try it again though haha

:)

I don't make the stereotypes... just pointing them out.

Maybe I should've rephrased it to "does anyone here draw, paint, sew, design, compose, write poetry, play instruments, create, sculpt, etc"

seems like everyone in my class played/plays an instrument lol.

Maybe I should've rephrased it to "does anyone here draw, paint, sew, design, compose, write poetry, play instruments, create, sculpt, etc"

Sure I bet there's plenty of people that love to do those activities. Pre-med/med students aren't robots lol.

Me.

But I might both left and right brain kind of person.

Because I had just read something on right and left brain and also figured it would be too long to list all that in the title, and it's not exclusive to just "art." it possible to edit the title of the post?

Because I had just read something on right and left brain and also figured it would be too long to list all that in the title, and it's not exclusive to just "art." it possible to edit the title of the post?

why not, as in "sure, why not" [as in i was being agreeable with your sarcasm].

:)

lol being a pre-med doesn't make you left brain dominant. No one on here is trying to become a doctor because they love logic and critical thinking and science; science classes that take logic and critical thinking just happened to be required to become a doctor. Now those guys who went and landed the rover on mars or people with philosophy PhDs, those are real left brain dominant individuals.

I don't think I'm either and I think everyone is capable of being both logical and creative.
Though to answer what you are getting at I'm the kind of person that no one believes wants to now venture down the track of med school or can. My first major was illustration and I took a couple years off of school to run my own freelance art business. So now when I tell people I'm back in school as a Bio major with hopes of med school I just get the wtf look.
As a kid I was always either doing science related stuff or art stuff so I think in a sense I'm pretty balanced.