Is applying early an advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iJackTeeth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
that doesn't matter since it's based on rolling admissions.

Earlier = better chances

Many people apply early before having their DAT scores, but since they applied early, once they take the DAT, everything is ready for the Adcoms to review Vs. If you apply August, you have to wait for your files to process, which can take up to 4 to 8 weeks.

Just remember that most of the seats are taken by Dec. 1st. Not all, but most.

Just something that I have noticed... Schools encourage applicant to apply early in june to have a better chance for getting invited to an interview. From reading around on these forums it seems that most of those who apply early are on top of their game, meaning, either they have high gpa's, high DAT scores, or they are re-applicants who have gotten a masters, or have done postbacc work. Now, since applicants are selected from a pool, for interviews wouldn't it be tougher to get an interview if you applied in june vs august because of the competitive early applicants?

Just something that came to my mind, any opinions?

I bow to your superior logic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mostly all the interview spots up through December are filled with the 'early batch' people.
So if your theory holds true and you look better in the later batches.... you'd likely just get an interview for a waitlist spot.
As seats in classes fill, the remaining seats are harder to get because admissions can pick be more picky because most of their class is filled and they have more than enough qualified people for the remaining spots.

Apply early :thumbup:

1. Rolling admission
2. Your interest in that school & preparedeness
3. There are couple of other items needed to be sent. Who knows if you are missing any one of those materials. Unexpected delay is expected!!
4. There are many more test takers who will bring his/her great DAT scores to the pool. Especially those who are graduating...they may end up with higher GPA than before!!

What else?

While not exactly a good source for obtaining randomization, perusing www.predents.com should give a pretty good idea of whether or not early applicants have the edge. You might be surprised to find that early applicants (those who interviewed in August) are in the minority of those ultimately accepted.

If I submit the application this week (by 7/17), would that be considered early? Or just in between early and late?

I'm taking the DAT on 7/19 and I will be following up with letter of rec by next week.

I'm getting little worried now that August is considered late...

If I submit the application this week (by 7/17), would that be considered early? Or just in between early and late?

I'm taking the DAT on 7/19 and I will be following up with letter of rec by next week.

I'm getting little worried now that August is considered late...

You should submit ASAP, because you can submit without DAT scores and because it can take up to 8 weeks for them to process your app at AADSAS. I am guessing you are stuck on the essay?

I was an idiot for not reading the AADSAS pages carefully. I could have submitted it a month ago but I was patiently waiting for the letter of rec to come through..

I'm planning on submitting it tomorrow. Time to break the bank (sigh)