Is applying in early September too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roxy88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether applying to DO schools in early September is considered too late?
The reason why I'm asking this is because I am planning to rewrite my MCATs in early August shortly after my MCAT prep course (and following a summer science course.)
I know that my best shot at getting an interview is to apply as early as possible, but I decided to take my MCATs in August to be adequately prepared.

Will applying early September hinder my chances at DO schools considering that I have a 3.48 cGPA and a 3.32 sGPA (with decent extracurriculars and volunteer work)? I'm aiming for a 28 on my next MCATs.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

With those numbers you best be applying June 1st. The end of July is too late.
+1. At least get things rolling on verification and get your MCAT in within the first few days of it being open. MCAT score is easy to verify the rest isn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the love of Carl Sagan... please stop saying MCATs. It's "MCAT".

Your GPA is decent... September might be on the later side, but if it means you have your best shot at the MCAT, then it's fine. You should submit your application before you take your MCAT though, so by the time your scores come in, it'll already be verified. This will move things along quicker.

Seriously, where do people even hear the term "MCATs"? The best is when they say "I will be writing my MCATs"!!!:laugh:

You may not get as many interviews as you'd like if you apply in September. I'd go for late July

It's a disadvantage but you can swing it.

I did something similar and landed several interviews so it's not undoable but you're simply competing for less available seats. Simple math.

Difference was that I hadn't taken the MCAT yet so my application wasn't complete until those scores came in. You might need to make a note on the application that you're retaking it because I'm pretty sure your application is going to go forward as complete with the score you don't want.

I applied Sept 6 and was accepted Dec 14 with numbers not dissimilar to yours. And that's including about a month (after I was verified) where I was waiting for my app to be complete due to an LOR mixup. Earlier is better, but with a 28 MCAT you should be ok.

I applied Sept 6 and was accepted Dec 14 with numbers not dissimilar to yours. And that's including about a month (after I was verified) where I was waiting for my app to be complete due to an LOR mixup. Earlier is better, but with a 28 MCAT you should be ok.

How many DO schools did you apply to and get interviews at? Did you apply to any MD schools and get interviews? And were the schools you got interviews at relatively "competitive" to get into? Thanks.

I didn't submit mine until October/November. I had similar stats as you and I was offered 5 interviews. Make sure you have a good MCAT and you should be good. Also, be sure you get a DO letter (that delayed my supplemental submissions because my mentor took FOREVER to submit it).

Good luck on your applications!

I didn't do as well as I expected. I got a 24. (9 P, 6V, 9B)

I had lower stats with some great experience and extracurriculars. I applied in mid October (secondaries complete late November) and will be matriculating in the Fall. Would I have had many more choices? yes. Did I get what I wanted? yes.

As my father told me when asking the same question as you are: I know how you wont get in...by not applying.

enough said.

since you asked above: I applied to 8 schools, 1 wait-list and 1 acceptance. But I had a 27 MCAT with one weak section, and two strong. Bring that MCAT up and you should be fine.