Is audiology a good career for a mom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

due.diligence

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everybody,

I'm wondering how feasible it is to go through the AudD program with a baby. Any of you done it? Did you feel like you were totally missing out on your kid's childhood? Side note: I do have a nearby dad who loves to babysit and a nurse partner who works 3 days a week.

I'm also wondering what work/life balance is like for those who are finished with the program and have kids. Are there part-time jobs out there? Do you feel like a bad parent and/or a bad audiologist for trying to do both?

I have read the cautionary tales on this forum written by people who warn against audiology as a career for other reasons, so this thread is specifically about work/life balance when there are kids in the equation. (I plan to have another one if possible.) I would love to hear about your experiences. Alternatively, if someone wants to tell me about their different healthcare career which fits in well with their life as a parent, I'd like to hear about that too! Thanks.
 
I think in terms of the rehab fields, audiology is very congruent with being a parent of small children. I did not find audiology graduate school that demanding. Time intensive at times with clinicals, classes, and student teaching/work study assignments, but I had classmates who became pregnant and had children during the program and seemed to do fine with a small support network.

Depending on your work setting your work/life balance will be different. I've worked in ENT offices where I was treated like a tech with no worries about my home life outside of work, and then I've worked in clinics where they were all about my home life being balanced with work.

I will say the VA has been great about work/life balance at a couple I've worked at (not so much at one) and although they spout work/life balance it really depends on your department head's take on the work/life balance idea. Some are wonderful and offer flexible work schedules (start at 7 get off at 3:30 for kids, etc.) and others don';t.
 
Hi everybody,

I'm wondering how feasible it is to go through the AudD program with a baby. Any of you done it? Did you feel like you were totally missing out on your kid's childhood? Side note: I do have a nearby dad who loves to babysit and a nurse partner who works 3 days a week.

I'm also wondering what work/life balance is like for those who are finished with the program and have kids. Are there part-time jobs out there? Do you feel like a bad parent and/or a bad audiologist for trying to do both?

I have read the cautionary tales on this forum written by people who warn against audiology as a career for other reasons, so this thread is specifically about work/life balance when there are kids in the equation. (I plan to have another one if possible.) I would love to hear about your experiences. Alternatively, if someone wants to tell me about their different healthcare career which fits in well with their life as a parent, I'd like to hear about that too! Thanks.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I've been a preceptor to an Au.D. student, and she went through the program just fine with a young child.

I've been an audiologist for 14 years and have a 5.5 year old and 3.5 year old. I work for the VA, and it has been a wonderful employer for someone who wants work/life balance. My hours are 8-4:30, and there is opportunity for part-time, if that is what you want. The health insurance is remarkable, and I did not pay anything for the birth of our two children, other than the bi-weekly premiums. Audiology is generally a low-stress field, which also helps because you can leave your work at the office and enjoy your home life when you leave work every day. I hope that helps.