Is Audiology mostly about selling hearing aids?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUDwannaBE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really like what I have learned thus far in school about Audiology, however when I talk to actual audiologist, they all seem to stress that sales is a big part of their job. I hate sales, I currently work in sales now but I don't want to have to worry about hitting some sort of sales goal each month in the future. Can anyone offer any insight on this? How important is the selling of hearing aids in the field? Are hospital jobs this way as well or is it mostly the jobs working for hearing aid companies? Thanks again :)!

Members don't see this ad.

Gosh I hope not, because I plan to be working in a hospital-affiliated clinic. There are diagnostic jobs out there, cochlear implant specialty (mapping), vestibular specialty, noise specialty, private practice (where you would be fitting and selling hearing aids, but also doing diagnostic work). I think the jobs working for the hearing aid companies actually seem sort-of fun too because the audiologists I know who work for them really get to know the technology. A lot of what they do is explain the new technology. And there's research going on at the companies too. There are also customer service jobs at the hearing aid companies, and audiologists are the ones who help troubleshoot or answer questions for audiologists who call from clinics. I am sure others can add to this list.

Gosh I hope not, because I plan to be working in a hospital-affiliated clinic. There are diagnostic jobs out there, cochlear implant specialty (mapping), vestibular specialty, noise specialty, private practice (where you would be fitting and selling hearing aids, but also doing diagnostic work). I think the jobs working for the hearing aid companies actually seem sort-of fun too because the audiologists I know who work for them really get to know the technology. A lot of what they do is explain the new technology. And there's research going on at the companies too. There are also customer service jobs at the hearing aid companies, and audiologists are the ones who help troubleshoot or answer questions for audiologists who call from clinics. I am sure others can add to this list.

Good info :):thumbup:. Are you currently a student?

Members don't see this ad :)
Our job is to do what's best for the patient, not to push hearing aids.

You might consider the VA. As an audiologist, you GIVE out hearing aids like candy and you get compensated rather well. No selling involved, just a lot of hairy ear canals and lenghty war stories.

Like Kitska said, there are plenty of other avenues you can persue if you don't want to be pressured to sell HAs. There is a thin line between making money for your practice (getting your commission) and providing proper hearing care for your patients. I agree with Audie2014: It comes down to what is best for your patient.