Is being a SoundCloud rapper an EC that I should mention in my apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungMoneyMint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising senior, and planning to apply to med school next cycle. I've been freestyling for a while and recently started rapping and making beats on FL studio. I'm planning to start posting on SoundCloud soon. I won't be pursuing rap as an actual career, but more as a way to blow off steam. I'm unsure about whether to include this on my apps (as a hobby), because I don't know what pre-conceived notions adcoms might have about SoundCloud rappers.

Apart from this, I'm a decent applicant (3.85+ GPA, averaging 515 on my MCAT FLs, lots of research, clinical experience, working with underserved communities etc.), and am shooting for T20/T30 med schools.

Provided that I stick with it and have a decent amount of music to show for this hobby, should I stick it on my app?

Members don't see this ad.

Hahah this is pretty great. Don't label it "Soundcloud rapper" but say you produce and distribute music or something

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Music is good. Mumble rap probably won't add extra points.

"Mumble rap" is and has been the future but I agree the oldheads on ADCOMS won't know what it is lol

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Please provide a link for further assessment of how "fire" said mixtape may be..... lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
@juliannewman Hahaha, I'm definitely not that good yet. I still need to work on my tone, find my rap voice and finish learning FL Studio. As soon as i drop something (hopefully before Carti), I'll pm you.

Reactions: 1 user
Hahaha just don't put down "soundcloud rapper" and I think its a good add. Better be fire on the beat if you're showing off on SDN

lol I also make music from time to time, but I definitely don't think I would phrase it as "Soundcloud rapper" on an application. I do think having a creative endeavor on your app, be it primary or secondary is definitely worth discussing though.

If you put in on your app adcoms may try and find your soundcloud and the content there might impact their decisions so just be aware of that.
i know I wouldn’t have wanted adcoms looking too hard into the lyrical content of my music

Reactions: 1 users