(Update) Is being a SoundCloud rapper an EC I should mention on my apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungMoneyMint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted recently about whether to mention on my secondaries/in my interviews that I rap in my spare time, and I got a lot of requests to post a sample of one of my raps. I just recorded a semi-freestyle for one of my Bio classes (my first attempt at recording a song.) Provided I improve over the next year (which is hopefully inevitable), should I include links to "safe" music like this on my apps?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I posted recently about whether to mention on my secondaries/in my interviews that I rap in my spare time, and I got a lot of requests to post a sample of one of my raps. I just recorded a semi-freestyle for one of my Bio classes:

Should I record "safe" music like this to talk about on my apps?

I am in pain

Members don't see this ad :)
I like this. Seems like next generation’s schoolhouse rock.

I definitely think this could make for a good essay about creativity/ connecting with people (assuming you talk to other people with this interest lol) not sure on including the link though since I thought links, in general, were a little frowned upon (there was recently a post from a music major and a piano piece, granted this is more unique)

You could take the leaf out of the book of scammers in Times Square and give them your mixtape and then tell them they now owe you an A.

Bonus points if it's just a blank CD.

Reactions: 1 user
@BigBoi4545

DUDEEEEEE YES. this is awesome. I would definitely at minimum list it as a hobby :p thats so creative and will help you learn/retain info.

Keep it up!

I would mention it but not enough for them to find your work.

being MEMORABLE is better than being EXCELLENT in my experience, for better or for worse

this made me so uncomfortable

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
This is so neat. I think for your student interviewers this could be a great talking point. It’s nice to see the creative side of people. Add to your hobby list

Never include links (to anything) in your application.

Should probably get the link printed on some business cards to hand out to interviewers, though. Gotta hustle to get that mix tape out there

Should probably get the link printed on some business cards to hand out to interviewers, though. Gotta hustle to get that mix tape out there

probably better to just play the song during the interview

Never include links (to anything) in your application.

What if it’s a website to an app I’m currently developing? Would I simply describe it? It’s not fully developed yet, so I hoped the website would be sufficient. Are there other ways that would be more effective when it comes to how I describe/list this activity? Maybe a picture?

i planned on listing stuff like a grant we were finalists for and the concept behind the app. But I don’t have much stuff to substantialize the idea of the app outside of the website, Grant, and concept.

What if it’s a website to an app I’m currently developing? Would I simply describe it? It’s not fully developed yet, so I hoped the website would be sufficient. Are there other ways that would be more effective when it comes to how I describe/list this activity? Maybe a picture?

i planned on listing stuff like a grant we were finalists for and the concept behind the app. But I don’t have much stuff to substantialize the idea of the app outside of the website, Grant, and concept.
Following links adds to the burden of everyone who has to read the application. We must consider all that is presented to us before making a decision if we plan to pass it on to the next stage. Raising the bar for this is not in your best interest.

Reactions: 2 users
Reminds me of all the youtube medical school songs. I wonder if they listed as hobbies too?

Reactions: 1 users
Ok so I just stumbled on something. Apply to Case Western. Go to 51:00 of Episode 12 of the All Access Podcast. Your skill may come in very useful!