Is being nervous during interviews really frowned upon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1012097

Couple of my interviewers commented at the end of my interviews about my nervousness but they were very friendly about it. I am wondering if this is still a bad sign?

Members don't see this ad.

Impossible to tell. My gut says that if they mentioned it, it might be a concern.

We expect people to be nervous, but we can only cut you some slack just so far. We expect you to display grace under pressure, because the job requires it.

Reactions: 5 users
Can you figure out what made them mention you seemed nervous, and work on it? Were you sweating, stuttering, etc? If you can pinpoint it, you can do mock interviews with people who make you a lower level of nervous, like the career office at your school, and specifically focus on suppressing that issue.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I loudly nervous farted in an MMI, thought I was absolutely rejected on the spot, but was accepted lol

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 32 users
Can you figure out what made them mention you seemed nervous, and work on it? Were you sweating, stuttering, etc? If you can pinpoint it, you can do mock interviews with people who make you a lower level of nervous, like the career office at your school, and specifically focus on suppressing that issue.

I wasn’t stuttering or sweating or doing anything distracting and I am pretty sure I gave good thoughtful coherent answers but maybe I was giving off that nervousness somehow?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
@Morc I bet, when the interviewers were submitting their impression of you, they were afraid they'd sound dumb themselves by saying "applicant farted during interview." So maybe you got a free pass xD

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
@givemetheball yeah sometimes it's hard to analyze yourself and see what specifically is giving off that impression. A mock interview may still be a good idea, and ask the person to record you, so you can look back on yourself and analyze your appearance and mannerisms. Maybe you're moving around too much, have a weird vocal tic you're not aware of, etc. I wouldn't say being nervous is super horrible, I am a super nervous person and I got into a few schools, but it might not give off the best impression either.

I think a little bit of nervousness can be endearing and it's certainly expected. Excessive fidgeting, stammering, or losing your train of thought would need to be worked on, however.

Reactions: 4 users
I wasn’t stuttering or sweating or doing anything distracting and I am pretty sure I gave good thoughtful coherent answers but maybe I was giving off that nervousness somehow?

If they mentioned it, you seemed nervous. People are notoriously bad at judging their own interview performance. If you weren’t that nervous, you might just have some tics or habits that come out when you interview that makes you look nervous. Maybe do a mock interview and record yourself or ask the person to look for things.

Reactions: 3 users
There's no "maybe" if more than one commented on it.

Reactions: 3 users
Don’t get nervous about being nervous... and remember Yerkes-Dodson law.

Reactions: 7 users
You do need to work on your nervousness in this situation. You are entering a career that is filled with one-on-one interactions much like an interview (the HPI is basically an interview). Also, don't assume that because your interviewer was being nice that they didn't think it was a big deal. They aren't going to yell at you about it lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
It's normal to be nervous! but if they had commented on it specifically you may be letting on more than you think. as others have said they do want to make sure you can maintain composure through high pressure situations. It takes some practice to get used to interviews especially and unfortunately most people only get the practice during the real things

We don't know what they were referring to however so at this point it's best not to worry about it and think forward! Best of luck :)

Reactions: 1 users