Bebe1126

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
CA
Status (Visible)
Has anybody gotten a rejection letter after interview? Or heard of anyone gotten rejected ? Is being put on waiting list the same as rejection? :confused:

JRogoff

Resident Palatal Phallacy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2004
Plantation, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Being put on the wait list is not a rejection . All it means is that you are an acceptable canidate but at the moment there are no seats left in the class. This is what being on the waitlist at most schools means. Of course there are exceptions. What school are are refering to? Boston? If i am not mistaken the are a good amount of people that get off the waitlist there. My guess is that people look at the price and run. You just need to hope that enough people decline their admissions invite and then your in. Sounds too simple huh, i wish it was. Maybe someone that knows a little more about Boston than i do can tell you more. I am not sure if they rank their waitlist (where the higher up you are the better the chance you have of gettig in) or if they re-evaluate (where after a certain amount of acceptances are handed out, they re-evaluate all the waitlisted people). Hope this helps!

Bebe1126

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
CA
Status (Visible)
No, its actually not BU.. I already pay my deposites for BU..
See, the reason why I feel that waiting list is somewhat the same as rejection because... I have not heard anyone who have gotten a rejection letter after interview... its either an acceptance or waiting list.. isn't it? :eek:

About the Ads

3rdMolarRoller

User Account Deleted
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by JRogoff
...All it means is that you are an acceptable canidate but at the moment there are no seats left in the class.

Not true. People are placed on waitlist before classes are even half full. Being placed on the waitlist means you MIGHT be a good student, but they want to look for better ones first. At most schools, waitlist is a nice form of rejection.

JRogoff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2004
Plantation, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Originally posted by Brocnizer2007
Not true. People are placed on waitlist before classes are even half full. Being placed on the waitlist means you MIGHT be a good student, but they want to look for better ones first. At most schools, waitlist is a nice form of rejection.

As i said in my previous post, it depends on the school. If a school doesn't like you they are not going to beat around the bush and waitlist you, unless being on the waitlist requires a non-refundable deposit.(which i don't think any school does) I do agree that some schools waitlist to see if better canidates come later in the cycle, but if they really feel you can't cut in the school they will tell you with a flat out rejection.

Bebe1126

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
CA
Status (Visible)
UOP does have a non-refunable deposite $200 to be on the waiting list.. funny huh.. :laugh:

JRogoff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2004
Plantation, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Originally posted by Bebe1126
UOP does have a non-refunable deposite $200 to be on the waiting list.. funny huh.. :laugh:

I stand corrected. I wouldn't plan on getting off that waitlist, i bet its very long!

Aaronpsr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I received a rejection letter after an interview. University of Iowa...I interviewed early too!

GLxY88

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Hey everyone... I need help in deciding what I should do...

If I have already been accepted to one school, but the school that I REALLY want to go to, I have been put on the waitlist... should I wait around for the "waitlist school" or just go to the school I have already been accepted to?!?!

Mo007

Gifted Hands
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Columbus, OH
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by GLxY88
Hey everyone... I need help in deciding what I should do...

If I have already been accepted to one school, but the school that I REALLY want to go to, I have been put on the waitlist...

Which school were you accepted? and which school were you waitlisted?

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
San Diego
Status (Visible)
GLxY88,
keep ur faith. there are plenty of chances to get accepted, but i would put down deposit for ur accepted sch and be patient. You could still make ur decision later on. I was placed on waitlist for UMB for 3 months before I got accepted. It should be moving faster now cos people are making up their mind soon. Good luck
EC

GLxY88

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I was accepted to NYU and waitlisted at Temple.

I'm an east coaster by heart, so even if I went to NYU, it wouldn't be that bad... but my preference for Temple is that it's so close to my hometown and I love Philly (and furthermore, would love to practice there too).

So... like many of you, I ain't rolling in the dough either, therefore, I want to try and make some sort of decision before I start shelling out big bucks for deposits!

I just feel so anxious because I want to feel secure about my future!!

ToothMonkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2004
Status (Visible)
GLxY88,

What's that saying about a bird in the hand...? The waitlist is nice (better than rejection, for sure) but it guarantees squat.

I don't know how much NYU wants for a deposit ($2k?), but I still say it would be madness to let the deadline pass without sending in a check. At most you can afford to wait until two days before the deadline in order to see if you luck out and come off Temple's list (then be sure to use certified express mail).

I was in a similar position myself. I even cancelled some interviews to save money after visiting my state school, because I was soooooo sure I was in (supposedly >80% of applicants who receive interview invites eventually get in, and I had really kicked a$$ during both faculty sessions). Of course I ended up getting a big fat REJECTION so it was damn fortunate that I forked over $750 --soon to be $1500--to reserve space in an out-of-state school.

Think of the big picture. Your deposit is nothing compared to both the overall cost of dental school and your probable earning potential after graduation. So just send in the dough and congratulate yourself for making it into dental school--ANY dental school. Not everyone is so lucky.

Thaxil

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2003
myrtle Beach, SC
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I got rejected after interviewing at LLU. I was lucky that I did not have to travel to the LLU. What a waste that would have been. I believe you should do the safest thing, which is pay the deposit for the school accepted and hope to come off the waiting list. Worst thing that could happen is attending dental school.

GLxY88

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Thnx for the encouraging words toothmonkey!!

Looking at the big picture does make a difference...

so here i go...

sucking it up...

and sending in $2k to NYU:laugh:

sxr71

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2002
Status (Visible)
NYU's first deposit is $500 if I'm not mistaken. The second deposit is due in May.

PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2003
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
bebe,

as many have said, being on the alt list doesn't mean you are rejected.

now getting accepted from that waitlist is another thing. it depends on the school.

i have heard that UCONN already filled their class and were still interviewing people for the waitlist. so your chances of UCONN would be slim.

now, i myself got placed on IUSD's alt list as #5 and got accepted a week later.

Aurora

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by PERFECT3435
bebe,

as many have said, being on the alt list doesn't mean you are rejected.

now getting accepted from that waitlist is another thing. it depends on the school.

i have heard that UCONN already filled their class and were still interviewing people for the waitlist. so your chances of UCONN would be slim.

now, i myself got placed on IUSD's alt list as #5 and got accepted a week later.

What about UPenn? Do you know what the chances of getting off the alternate list are at UPenn?

Thanks!

GLxY88

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
yeah sxr71... I already paid the $500 first deposit but I was anticipating hearing something solid from the other school before I had to drop the $2K in May!!

Bummer... all that money...

and get this... today... I got my housing packet which states that they want $1000 in June for a res. fee and I only have until the end of July to cancel if I want that deposit back!!

Gee... So much money... so little time to figure out where it all goes in the end!!!!!
;)

PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2003
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Originally posted by GLxY88
yeah sxr71... I already paid the $500 first deposit but I was anticipating hearing something solid from the other school before I had to drop the $2K in May!!

Bummer... all that money...

and get this... today... I got my housing packet which states that they want $1000 in June for a res. fee and I only have until the end of July to cancel if I want that deposit back!!

Gee... So much money... so little time to figure out where it all goes in the end!!!!!
;)

totally feel your pain there. i consider myself lucky that IUSD's dep was only $500 and my house's dep in IN was another $500.

now Aurora, i don't know anything about UPenn. hoefulyy someone else will have the info for ya. good luck.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.