Is Bipolar Disorder a big issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leismania

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a IMG, completed my graduation in 2015. I h've taken step 1, score 250, urrently I'm preparing for step 2.
I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2016, after an episode of mania. Now, stable on lithium since.
I want to pursue neurology or psychiatry as my residency options.
I'n not sure if my Bipolar Disorder'd be detrimental for me, or how program directions look at it, or should I not mention it at all?. Any guidance?

Members don't see this ad.

Some people have BPD that is easily well controlled on medication. Other people have refractory symptoms and recurrent flares.

As far as applying to residency, there is no need to mention it as long as your disease is stable. I would leave it out of your application, unless you feel this is a key part of your story.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my colleagues confided in me a while ago that he has Bipolar 2 Disorder. The only time he got into trouble with it was when he stopped taking his medications a few years ago because he mistakenly felt he was "better". After a few months, his symptoms returned worse than before and he was a wreck. Almost ended his own life. He was caught back in the loop of hypomania and despair. He never told his wife, but she was the one who (fortunately) got him back on track. For an otherwise brilliant man, he admitted that his insight into his own condition was very poor.

I think the key is to recognize this as a legitimate illness. I will slightly disagree with aProgrDirector in that, if you report this to your employer (residency program, etc.) after you have been accepted (i.e., during the actual hiring process), you will likely be protected under the ADA. This means that they cannot terminate you legally without a fair hearing if any performance issues are identified that may in any way be related to your condition.

Good luck. No need to disclose this up front unless it comes up organically. If anything, the fields you are choosing should be compassionate and understanding regarding your condition.

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you aProgDirector, and Skip Intro.
So as I understand, there isnt any particular need, or column in the application (at ERAS, or during interviews) here they ask about any medical condition. However I can mention it, if I feel like, like to say, the fact that draws me to Neurology is to dive deeper into the neuronal circuits, and neurobiochemistry behind Bipolar disorder and other related Psychiatric disorders. So if we look at it from the program directors' perspective, how'd s/he see it? A negative point, or a positive motivating factor?

I think the key is to recognize this as a legitimate illness. I will slightly disagree with aProgrDirector in that, if you report this to your employer (residency program, etc.) after you have been accepted (i.e., during the actual hiring process), you will likely be protected under the ADA. This means that they cannot terminate you legally without a fair hearing if any performance issues are identified that may in any way be related to your condition.

I agree that once hired, you're protected by ADA.

We're getting somewhat OT, but the ADA affords you reasonable accommodations for your illness. That's different from "any performance issues are identified that may in any way be related to your condition.". If you feel your illness needs an accommodation, you can request it from your employer, and they can decide whether it's reasonable or not. If you simply run into trouble and don't request any accommodation, then your employer is, in general, not required to do anything (although there are state specific ADA laws, and this situation gets murky quickly).

In any case, I don't think it's the OP's question.

Thank you aProgDirector, and Skip Intro.
So as I understand, there isnt any particular need, or column in the application (at ERAS, or during interviews) here they ask about any medical condition. However I can mention it, if I feel like, like to say, the fact that draws me to Neurology is to dive deeper into the neuronal circuits, and neurobiochemistry behind Bipolar disorder and other related Psychiatric disorders. So if we look at it from the program directors' perspective, how'd s/he see it? A negative point, or a positive motivating factor?

Hard to say. Some might see it as a positive motivating factor. Others might see it as a risk that your illness might get in the way of your training, and that you might ask for accommodations that would be difficult or expensive. Technically considering any of that in the hiring decision is illegal, but it's easy to blame it all on something else.

Thank you for your valuable insights, aProgDirector.