Is BR Orgo necessary or is EK Orgo enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isasmommy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I happen to have both but I noticed that BR spends way more time on it and Ek is more of a summary. I did well in orgo and am wondering if the extra chapters are really going to make a difference given that there is LESS orgo on the MCAT. I guess I'm just trying to use my time wisely. I have the 1001 orgo too so if I don't do the BR then I'll just practice more with EK.

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering the same thing, I have both, but BR Orgo seems it's going to take forever to get through and since Orgo is apparently only 30% of the biological science section, I was thinking it was not worth it put all that time in.

That said, the advice I've seen in these forums is that use BR orgo if you're weak in orgo and use Examkrackers if you are strong. I might do a hybrid version, but if you have the BR orgo books, make sure you read through the fundamentals of reactivity chapter as it really explains the basis of most reactions in orgo. Furthermore, if you have the books, you can read through examkrackers and read the BR books when a subject is difficult for you to comprehend.

I am wondering the same thing, I have both, but BR Orgo seems it's going to take forever to get through and since Orgo is apparently only 30% of the biological science section, I was thinking it was not worth it put all that time in.

That said, the advice I've seen in these forums is that use BR orgo if you're weak in orgo and use Examkrackers if you are strong. I might do a hybrid version, but if you have the BR orgo books, make sure you read through the fundamentals of reactivity chapter as it really explains the basis of most reactions in orgo. Furthermore, if you have the books, you can read through examkrackers and read the BR books when a subject is difficult for you to comprehend.

Yeah, I think I will do a hybrid version, is there any other sections that I should cover in the BR?

I went through the BR books, just because I had them and had some time but it took me around 2 and half weeks of everyday studying/doing passages just to get through them. So budget your time wisely. I would look at the structure elucidation chapter, lab chapter, and the reaction chapter if you don't have time. Although I know carbs like the back of my hand now form doing 100+ questions on just carbs, i seldom see it on practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
you finished ALL the TBR books in less than three weeks?? what was your daily schedule?