Is brosencephalon's anki deck overrated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brahventus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any anki users that took Step 1 can comment on why this deck is so popular compared to other decks (other than price) like Dr. Willbe's pathology deck, Yousmle's deck, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

brosencaphelon has almost all of first aid [combined with relevant pathoma and even some robbins] consolidated into the deck. moreover, he made the cards in such a way that it's easy to go through them fairly quickly b/c each card is just a cloze deletion. so it's not just how comprehensive it is, but also how well the cards help you learn. but that's just my opinion. scored 250+ and it definitely helped me a lot to ingrain first aid into my head. you can read more of my thoughts on it in these posts;

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/brosencephalon-deck-worth-it.1164201/#post-16979437

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/question-on-using-brosencephalon-deck.1164016/#post-16975860

Reactions: 1 users
brosencaphelon has almost all of first aid [combined with relevant pathoma and even some robbins] consolidated into the deck. moreover, he made the cards in such a way that it's easy to go through them fairly quickly b/c each card is just a cloze deletion. so it's not just how comprehensive it is, but also how well the cards help you learn. but that's just my opinion. scored 250+ and it definitely helped me a lot to ingrain first aid into my head. you can read more of my thoughts on it in these posts;

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/brosencephalon-deck-worth-it.1164201/#post-16979437

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/question-on-using-brosencephalon-deck.1164016/#post-16975860

Did you use bro's non pharm/path FA2014 deck? Is it worth doing as well?

i wouldn't do his pharm deck. i just used anki's image occluder feature for all of first aid pharm and picmonic as well and that was mostly fine. still got some random questions on step 1 which were nebulous and wasn't sure if they were in first aid but first aid gives you the tools; just need to apply the concepts..

i did a good bit of non path/pharm deck, and yea i'd recommend some of the sections. my opinion is rather than re-reading the cardiology part of first aid for instance (the one that does'nt deal with path and pharm), it's worth reading through once, and then working through the brosencephalon deck for that corresponding part of first aid. the main reason i like doing this instead is because you retain more with anki. rather than reading the renal section on first aid, just do brosencephalon; it's the same thing as reading first aid (that's all there is to his deck), but you just retain more. you can give it a try and see how you like it. it's up to you how long you want to stick with each deck. i tried sticking with some decks for anywhere from 1-3 months, but sometimes you get caught up with other things. even if you do each deck for 1 month, you'll be amazed at how much you retain. you can also delete cards that are really easy by just clicking the delete button on your keyboard when you get to a card.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any anki users that took Step 1 can comment on why this deck is so popular compared to other decks (other than price) like Dr. Willbe's pathology deck, Yousmle's deck, etc?
I'm going over his Path(oma)ology deck right now to study for a hematology exam this week...It seems to be working. Usually I just try to memorize Pathoma by reading it several times, but like Malin said above, the Anki cards really help you retain it.

I'm going over his Path(oma)ology deck right now to study for a hematology exam this week...It seems to be working. Usually I just try to memorize Pathoma by reading it several times, but like Malin said above, the Anki cards really help you retain it.

Haha don't forget about this quiz tomorrow too...

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Bro; do you think your deck replaces usmleRx or reading all of FA?

In short: no.

While I feel my card making has gotten considerably better since I put together my Step 1 collection, Anki (or flashcard based learning in general) isn't strong for conceptual knowledge imo. As far as my experience goes, it's best used as a supplement to reading (i.e. to actively test your recall) and to make memorization more efficient/streamlined. I chose FA because it's one of the most comprehensive resource for Step 1.

Side note: what I think many people forget (or at least seem to) is that I made these cards for myself and a few of my friends that study the same way I do. It's not going to work for everyone, and I never meant to make it seem as an all encompassing resource. When I shared the collection on Reddit I never anticipated the response that it got. I'm really pleased that it has helped a lot of fellow students and I hope it does the same for you.

I'm happy to answer any more questions.

GL, brah.

Reactions: 13 users
How do you guys use the brosencephalon decks? I haven really used anki before and I was wondering how to utilize his deck properly as a study aid in additon to First Aid and Rx throughout the school year. When going through some decks what settings do you have anki on for new cards per day and review cards.

In short: no.

While I feel my card making has gotten considerably better since I put together my Step 1 collection, Anki (or flashcard based learning in general) isn't strong for conceptual knowledge imo. As far as my experience goes, it's best used as a supplement to reading (i.e. to actively test your recall) and to make memorization more efficient/streamlined. I chose FA because it's one of the most comprehensive resource for Step 1.

Side note: what I think many people forget (or at least seem to) is that I made these cards for myself and a few of my friends that study the same way I do. It's not going to work for everyone, and I never meant to make it seem as an all encompassing resource. When I shared the collection on Reddit I never anticipated the response that it got. I'm really pleased that it has helped a lot of fellow students and I hope it does the same for you.

I'm happy to answer any more questions.

GL, brah.
I'm not even a big flashcard person, but thanks to your deck, I have a nice extra resource to pack it in. I see there are some drugs that are not in FA.. Don't know how I will remember those random ones but I guess I'll try.

I'm not even a big flashcard person, but thanks to your deck, I have a nice extra resource to pack it in. I see there are some drugs that are not in FA.. Don't know how I will remember those random ones but I guess I'll try.

If you want to use a less extensive pharm deck you can check out Dr.Willbe's pharm deck, it's less cards also and derived from FA as well. I'm using bro's for everything and pharm from Dr.willbe

If you want to use a less extensive pharm deck you can check out Dr.Willbe's pharm deck, it's less cards also and derived from FA as well. I'm using bro's for everything and pharm from Dr.willbe
link for dr willbe's deck please

update: nevermind , google came to the rescue :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of supplenting Bros cards into my step studying, in particular his Pharm and Path. Anyone else with past experience with these sections of his deck? Really looking for a good Pharm deck since I learn it best via flash cards.

bros path is awesome, it has pathoma and other stuffs added in I think. I am hitting one organ system a day for path and will finish it in a week.

Can you comment on the pharm deck from will be? How is it?

Hey guys, I'm also looking into using his deck as well. I'm not so savvy with Anki and was wondering if anyone could help me. It'd be much appreciated :)

1) How do you set it up so that you learn only 100 NEW cards / day?

2) What were your settings for his deck? I'm sitting for a June exam and I'm not sure if I'll have time to go through all the cards by April/or later once. For those who used his cards and took the boards, what do you suggest?
(I thought I'd do new 100 cards/day to customize/cut down but not review until dedicated. I know it doesn't reinforce the whole spaced repetition theme so I'm worried about that but I don't know how much time I can spare per day doing his deck)

Thanks!

Last edited: