is BU hard to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beebee0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying to Boston U's MPH for spring 2010. Does anyone know how competitive the school is to get in, and whether Spring Admission or Fall admission is less competitive? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about a potential difference in fall vs spring admission, but everyone I know that applied to BU was accepted for fall admission. (Stories can probably tell you exact numbers, but I think it's something like 70-80% acceptance rate.)

Ditto. BU is not selective. In the ASPH's 2008 Annual Data Report, BU has one of the higher acceptance rates. http://www.asph.org/UserFiles/2008 Data Report.pdf

I suppose you still need to take those acceptance stats with a grain of salt though, bc they lump together applications for all concentrations, and I believe they also include applications for doctoral programs in those stats along with masters degrees.

As for applying for the spring, they say there's less opportunity for being awarded funding when you apply for spring enrollment (this goes for when you're applying to grad school in general, not just for MPH degrees or to BU). So I don't know if you'd still get offered any merit award along with your acceptance if you apply for the spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
BU has a very high acceptance rate, not necessarily because it's a poor school, but because a lot of people use BU as one of their backups when applying to one of the very competitive schools. Generally speaking, the applicants are pretty strong, and if you're looking at BU, you're probably also looking at schools that are more competitive than BU (like a Hopkins, Harvard, Columbia, etc.).

Ditto. BU is not selective. In the ASPH's 2008 Annual Data Report, BU has one of the higher acceptance rates. http://www.asph.org/UserFiles/2008 Data Report.pdf

I suppose you still need to take those acceptance stats with a grain of salt though, bc they lump together applications for all concentrations, and I believe they also include applications for doctoral programs in those stats along with masters degrees.

As for applying for the spring, they say there's less opportunity for being awarded funding when you apply for spring enrollment (this goes for when you're applying to grad school in general, not just for MPH degrees or to BU). So I don't know if you'd still get offered any merit award along with your acceptance if you apply for the spring.

Isn't it that MPH degrees generally don't fund any student anyway? I know that BU is very expensive though- would they be more generous on the funding part?

Isn't it that MPH degrees generally don't fund any student anyway? I know that BU is very expensive though- would they be more generous on the funding part?

Most terminal masters degrees are not funding, MPHs included. Generally speaking, PhD students are most often funded (and occasionally MS students). In terms of scholarship and tuition aid, BU has given out awards between $5000-$10000 the past few years to select students (handed out during the acceptance). However, the norm for almost all schools is that you'll have to fund your education through loans--although you might run into a chance to become a research assistant or teaching assistant which might alleviate some of the loan burden.

Any school in Boston is expensive, not just BU. This would include schools like Harvard, BU, Tufts which offer some sort of MPH. Tuition at schools are generally dictated by location more than any other single factor.

i applied for this spring semester too (only waiting on one reference before sophas will submit it. argh). good luck!

i applied for this spring semester too (only waiting on one reference before sophas will submit it. argh). good luck!

Cakes, do u know how the FAFSA works for spring semester? Does it take your last FAFSA application (the one you submitted early 2009) or next year's?

Hey beebee,

I have no idea how they work the FAFSA system, but I would call the financial aid office and have them guide you. Hope it works out.