is caribean medical school my only option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sdeng1128

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello forum first time poster here :).

so i graduated college back in 2012 with a gpa of about 2.96, i don't know what my science gpa is though. I have not taken mcat yet. so my question is if i want to be a medical doctor, MD or DO, is my only realistic choice the caribean medical schools? I can do a post-bacc to boost gpa but i have already taken 120 credits, i don't think a post bacc will boost much.

Thank you for reading this.

Members don't see this ad.

You can come back from a low GPA, but you will need to show that you are not that student anymore.

Earn 1-2 years of A's in science courses. This can be in an SMP or just at your local college.

Do well on the MCAT. This is the most important step. Do not take the MCAT until your practice tests indicate you will do well.

At that point you should be competitive for DO schools and may have a shot at a few MD schools that value reinvention. You won't find too many people who will advise you to go the Caribbean on these forums. It is a huge expense for uncertain returns.

Some helpful reading:

Low GPA success stories. This is my favorite thread on SDN: LOW GPA/MCAT Success Stories (Posts by Nontrads Already Accepted to Med School)

Below 3.0 gpa support group. Good advice and support.: Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

Read DrMidlife's post on this thread (#3). The definitive guide on how to come back from a low GPA: The Low Gpa--What Do I Do Thread

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not and frankly I wouldnt even consider this path were I you..

Do an SMP, or ace a do it yourself post bacc at local community colleges. That with even an average MCAT (505) and you could get love from DO schools.

Keep in mind the other aspects of an app though. You need significant clinical experience, shadowing, etc. Likely will take you two years or so to be in a position to even apply. And there is very little room for error.

Good luck OP!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello forum first time poster here :).

so i graduated college back in 2012 with a gpa of about 2.96, i don't know what my science gpa is though. I have not taken mcat yet. so my question is if i want to be a medical doctor, MD or DO, is my only realistic choice the caribean medical schools? I can do a post-bacc to boost gpa but i have already taken 120 credits, i don't think a post bacc will boost much.

Thank you for reading this.
Read this:
Note: it's not about raising the GPA anymore.

This is not the place to ask about the Caribbean as most people here have no knowledge of that route and will tell you not to go due to personal bias.

Honestly, I don't think you're a candidate for medical school with your GPA.

Read through some of my posts in the Caribbean forum and that should give you a heads up as to what to expect down that route.