Is CCOM the best DO school for research outcomes and mid tier( competitive) IM residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalBear456

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I wanted to get your thoughts on if you feel CCOM, even with its price tag, really is the best DO school for research and competitive IM residences?

For example, between KCU- DMU-CCOM-AZCOM. Which school has the most research going on, and which school do you feel will open the most doors to competitive residencies?

Is this one of the highly desirable schools among the original 5 (besides PCOM), even with its price tag these days? @AnatomyGrey12

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You couldn't convince me to pay anything close to that much for any DO school. Its gross. There isn't much difference among them, and any DO school puts you at a disadvantage for competitive residencies. Some are better than others in terms of rotations, average board scores etc but I wouldn't get hung up on ranking them because it really doesn't matter.

Edit: didnt you post in another thread that you got accepted somewhere this past cycle? If you turned down an acceptance to reapply then you should be willing to go anywhere that will take you because turning down an acceptance is generally lethal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
$73k tuition, $305k average indebtedness, ya thats gonna be a no from me dawg

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What I've learned from the COVID pandemic is that you can get research opportunities in any area of the US (or even the world) if you are down to help remotely. Unless you're into web lab research (i.e. pipetting, ELISA), it doesn't matter where you go to school, IMO.

Personally, my friends who attend the original 5 schools (which includes CCOM) have had much luck when finding research opportunities. But every school has some research going on, and it depends on the student's motivation primarily.

Reactions: 1 users
I liked CCOM a lot until they gave me their 100k+/year CoA sheet at my interview lol.

State DO schools are the best options if you can get in. PCOM is the best of the original 5 + location advantage (Philly is a goldmine for research). Other schools in big cities like KCU KC, Nova, Marian, NYCOM, Western COMP etc. also have advantages with their locations since they are close to large academic centers. You just gotta work harder than the average MD student to get connected with the right people, but it can be done without having to pay 100k a year just for research outcomes.

There is nothing that CCOM will provide that the other schools don't have to make it worth that stupid high price tag.

Reactions: 8 users
Hey all,

I wanted to get your thoughts on if you feel CCOM, even with its price tag, really is the best DO school for research and competitive IM residences?

For example, between KCU- DMU-CCOM-AZCOM. Which school has the most research going on, and which school do you feel will open the most doors to competitive residencies?

Is this one of the highly desirable schools among the original 5 (besides PCOM), even with its price tag these days? @AnatomyGrey12

OSU is the best school for research. The rest of the state schools come in second, and PCOM might be after that.

CCOM doesn't offer anything above and beyond what the rest of them do really, and I wouldn't go there because of that price tag.

Reactions: 1 user
OSU is the best school for research. The rest of the state schools come in second, and PCOM might be after that.

CCOM doesn't offer anything above and beyond what the rest of them do really, and I wouldn't go there because of that price tag.
is OSU Oklahoma State in this context?

Would you put WVSOM in this category? It's a state school, but very rural.

Would you choose DMU/RVU/KCU over it?

No I would not put WVSOM in that category.I always forget they are a state school.

Over CCOM? I’d go to all of those over CCOM based on tuition alone.

The strengths of CCOM is that they are old and established so they have good ties in the area that make finding rotations a bit easier and that the campus is very beautiful, up to date, and in a nice area.

For someone like me the convenience of being close to home around family and having a short commute makes stomaching the price tag more bearable. For someone wanting to come here with little to no ties in the area, I don’t really see what CCOM offers that justifies the price tag.

No I would not put WVSOM in that category.I always forget they are a state school.

Over CCOM? I’d go to all of those over CCOM based on tuition alone.
Out of DMU, KCU-KC, Western-CA, and TUCOM- NV ( I believe has a teaching hospital)

Which school do you think is the “best one” to match into a MID- high tier IM residency?

Out of DMU, KCU-KC, Western-CA, and TUCOM- NV ( I believe has a teaching hospital)

Which school do you think is the “best one” to match into a MID- high tier IM residency?

TUCOM-NV does not have a teaching hospital.

I'm not sure the difference between those three will matter all that much. Just do well on boards and get research

Reactions: 1 user
TUCOM-NV does not have a teaching hospital.

I'm not sure the difference between those three will matter all that much. Just do well on boards and get research
@AnatomyGrey12 Is it common for med students to commute about an hour to a nearby institution to conduct research? So basically two hour commute all together.

Is this something doable for a first year student in your opinion? Say we are very interested in a IM with the goal of pursing a fellowship, research is def going to be a huge component. When would you recommend medical students begin looking for research and fully engaging in it.

I grew up right next to CCOM and still went to DMU. There is no justification for the tuition, especially when the end product is the same if not better elsewhere.
CCOM isn’t in the city, and while it may be easier to get “connections” because it’s 35 min out, you’re also competing with 6 other med schools around the city to gain those spots. As the only DO school, it ain’t happening.

everyone’s priorities are different but Downers Grove is also higher COL than many other DO schools as well, so on top of the tuition you have to factor that in.

I love the city, and ill be applying back there for residency, but think long and hard before you commit to 500k+ in debt when you could’ve gotten to the same place with 300k