Is competition the best way to motivate yourself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

netr0pa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have realized that competition actually is the best way for me to motivate myself to pass my year easier. How about you guys?

Do you think the same way? Everytime we have our big exams in our class, I always compare my result with the top10 of the class and right now, I'm already in the top10 but Im not so satisfied with that and always wanted to be atleast in the top5 (when it comes to big subjects). And I hate to lose any "games" and I think this will motivate me a lot if I see those 6 years as a "game" / competition

Smaller subjects play a smaller roll. Bigger subjects require more enegry and therefore, it will be easier if you find a good way to push yourself forward.

What do you guys think? Any of you who believes in the same way?

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on the person. Sometimes, too much competition can discourage a person. I find this true for me. I'm much more inclined to work hard when I feel like it will bear significant, tangible results. This isn't the best mindset to be in, but that's just the way I am.

Too much competition and I get worried. I still do well, but I won't do as well.

I guess there should be a balance of competition. Yes, in the long run, I'm sure everyone does better with more competition, but in terms of the best fit, I definitely do my best with a reasonable amount of competition.

I find competition an idiotic motivator. Do a good job for the sake of doing a good job and don't stress if things don't go as well as hoped.

Edit

Perhaps not idiotic, but certainly misguided.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have realized that competition actually is the best way for me to motivate myself to pass my year easier. How about you guys?

Do you think the same way? Everytime we have our big exams in our class, I always compare my result with the top10 of the class and right now, I'm already in the top10 but Im not so satisfied with that and always wanted to be atleast in the top5 (when it comes to big subjects). And I hate to lose any "games" and I think this will motivate me a lot if I see those 6 years as a "game" / competition

Smaller subjects play a smaller roll. Bigger subjects require more enegry and therefore, it will be easier if you find a good way to push yourself forward.

i see where your coming from. I think of it a little differently, i like to do better than the most 'hardcore' competitiors (gunners) just bc that is all there entire lives revolve around and talk about so it satisfies me to do better than them... i guess people would say thats not the best reason but it works for me... sometimes i cna motivate myself to just try n do well but most of the time i just like crashin the gunner party lol

And to clarify:

What I mean with "competition" is not like I'm going to brag in front of everyone that I got this score or that score just to "be cool" or something.

I mean more like: you keep this thought about your dream of being in the top5 /top10 of the class in your own mind, because I think that it is important to have the right attitude, especially when you are going to become a future doctor.

And to clarify:

What I mean with "competition" is not like I'm going to brag in front of everyone that I got this score or that score just to "be cool" or something.

I mean more like: you keep this thought about your dream of being in the top5 /top10 of the class in your own mind, because I think that it is important to have the right attitude, especially when you are going to become a future doctor.

What exactly is so noteworthy about that dream though? If you score at the top of your class in anatomy, that's certainly something to be proud of. However, no matter what, there will always be someone better than you.

When you eventually see a challenging patient and correctly diagnose/manage him, is the accomplishment that you did something that few others could do? Or is that you knew enough to help him recover? I agree with the latter; the former is pure vanity.

And to clarify:

IMO, the humble geniuses are the best

diagnosed with type A personality

No I don't find it helpful. I actually find people who turn everything into a competition naive and often their antics lead to poor group-work environments.

Competition is a motivator for me as well.

I honestly can't stand people who just walk around wanting to do a good job so they can feel great about themselves all day. They also tend to be smug (see CatFactorial's judgmental post above).

Competition doesn't have to be cut throat. I look at people with stronger skills and more achievement and I think to myself "hmm, how can I improve myself to be like them?" The only true way to measure yourself is against others.

Great you helped a patient. Congratulate yourself. But could you have done it faster, more efficiently, and delivered a more effective treatment?

People have been telling me competition is bad and everyone should be the same and work together since first grade. It wasn't until I stopped listening and embraced competition as a motivator that I found success. It isn't for everyone and that's OK. Some people get stressed out. But competition works for me.

Last edited:
My motivation is the approval I get for a job well done or a job done better. The look pleased surprise of hearing that I finished a task faster the expected, the nod of approval for suturing better than the last time I was scrubbed with them, etc is what gratifies me most. What other people is not as important to me and, if anything, only distracts me from pushing myself.

Competition is a motivator for me as well.

I honestly can't stand people who just walk around wanting to do a good job so they can feel great about themselves all day. They also tend to be smug (see CatFactorial's judgmental post above).

Seems like you misunderstood me.

Everyone should study hard to be the best physician s/he can become. That is a valid motivation. Doing so only to be in the top 5 or top 10 is, again, simple vanity. That's why I'll continue to be smug.

Competition doesn't have to be cut throat. I look at people with stronger skills and more achievement and I think to myself "hmm, how can I improve myself to be like them?" The only true way to measure yourself is against others.

I agree. Always look to improve yourself. But, again, not for some superficial reason like beating the rest of your class. If you happen to be at the top, great, that's something to be proud of because you learned your stuff and will be more competent for it, but otherwise it's meaningless. Why do you think most schools are moving to the pass/fail system (at least for preclinical)?

Great you helped a patient. Congratulate yourself. But could you have done it faster, more efficiently, and delivered a more effective treatment?

See above.

People have been telling me competition is bad and everyone should be the same and work together since first grade. It wasn't until I stopped listening and embraced competition as a motivator that I found success. It isn't for everyone and that's OK. Some people get stressed out. But competition works for me.

I'm not one of those people.

You're not alone in your thinking. It's just not something you can talk about out loud in polite society. I do see the basic science years as a huge game that I want to win (STEP 1).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28BXqQWqYJU&feature=fvst

:love::love::love::love::love:
(sure, no one is that extreme, but it's part of what has made humanity great...)

Being better than someone else shouldn't be your sole motivation in life. I have people in my class who will get pissy if they aren't the top 5 or top 10. You should always strive to do your best, but I personally believe you shouldn't judge yourself based on what others do and don't do.

Do your best and forget the rest is what I say.

I know I'm "just a premed", however, I've only ever been motivated by self competition (can I do better than last time?) or cooperation.

NOT even close

I don't care if 99.9% of my class did better than me. If I did go, that's all I'm satisfied with. I'm the kind of person who likes to see everyone get an A and not be some douche and feel better that I got an A and all my friends barely passed...

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be best. I think that should be the active goal for any medical student or physician. They key is to want everyone around to be the best too!!

i see where your coming from. I think of it a little differently, i like to do better than the most 'hardcore' competitiors (gunners) just bc that is all there entire lives revolve around and talk about so it satisfies me to do better than them... i guess people would say thats not the best reason but it works for me... sometimes i cna motivate myself to just try n do well but most of the time i just like crashin the gunner party lol

So if you like to do better than the people whose lives revolve around school...that would imply your life revolves around school. Is the irony escaping you here?

Anyway, I'm sure there very intimidated by you, but I'm not sure how many gunner parties your actually going to crash.

Some people have an unhealthy obsession with their status (whatever it may be). Other people thrive on a little bit of healthy competition. Take athletes for example. Some athletes are great sports and will give 100% effort to out compete their opponents. When these athletes are unsuccessful, they're not bitter and don't try to sabotage their opponents in an unsportsmanlike manner. Instead, they take responsibility for their actions and work on improving themselves. Bad sportsmen do the opposite.

It's no secret that much of our lives involves competition. Heck, I'll bet many doctors think they're competing with a pathogen when trying to cure a patients illness. And why not? From a pragmatic standpoint, you're just doing whatever you need to do so that you can accomplish the end result you desire.

Competition is not the problem. Healthy competition motivates people to do great things all the time. Men compete for women. Women compete for men. Professors compete for grants. Undergrads compete for medical school seats. Medical students compete for residency spots. Residents compete for the jobs they desire. You're naive or full of crap if you think that it works any other way.

OP, you get to set your own expectations of yourself. It sounds like you've been doing well and still want to get better. That's great. If you're not going uphill you would probably be sliding downhill just a little bit. It's important to make sure your life is in balance. If you want to spend more time/energy/thought devoted to bettering yourself, why not? If this stratagem works for you and you're happy/successful----> keep doing it. If you think you need to try a different approach, give that a shot. Different strokes for different folks.