Is CP still necessary for private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnaLee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I had always heard that you need CP to get a job in private practice. I have heard rumblings lately that that may not be true as much any more, that you would be just as marketable if you have AP and subspecialty fellowship (like cytopath). Does this restrict you to academic jobs or could you get a job in a larger private practice? I think this has come up before, but I couldn't find the thread.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

AnnaLee said:
Hi everyone,
I had always heard that you need CP to get a job in private practice. I have heard rumblings lately that that may not be true as much any more, that you would be just as marketable if you have AP and subspecialty fellowship (like cytopath). Does this restrict you to academic jobs or could you get a job in a larger private practice? I think this has come up before, but I couldn't find the thread.

Thanks!

You are definitively not as marketable if you dont have CP. APCP is far superior to APcyto everywhere I know of in the US. No idea about Canada, and personally I dont give a crap, tho I hear through the grapevine there are some crazy job offers in the oil rich areas up North.

I once posted that the only exception rule to this is AP/derm, I take this back now. I have followed a couple of friends through this route and know now that even they have a harder time finding jobs esp. outside derm mills doing traditional path than I do.

Personally, for max job offers I would:
AP, CP, Surg path at a solid place (and these are easy to get mind you) and a boarded subspeciality in either heme or derm.(in that order as well) This is the ideal, not at all what I recommend everyone to do.
Ideally, you should be board certified in AP/CP before beginning the job search and advertise you will eligible in your subspeciality on your CV.

AnnaLee said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Hey AnnaLee,

I posted earlier that I am applying AP only to some schools that offer that option. At this point in time, I am 99.9999% certain I want to stay in academics. With my husband's career, it would be hard for me to find a position in private practice and we will probably be restricted to academic centers anyways. However, most importantly, I want to do research and I don't think I would enjoy private practice (LADoc00, I know I will be getting paid pennies...I guess I just don't care).

Members don't see this ad :)
miko2005 said:
(LADoc00, I know I will be getting paid pennies...I guess I just don't care).

And feminists speak of the wage gap like somehow this crap is all my fault for being a well off white man! No, its all attitude I say, attitude. More power to you to not care but there are alot who couldnt afford to do that.

I agree with LADoc00. From talking to residents/fellows at my program who are planning on a career in private practice, it is common to see folks undertaking combined AP/CP for 4 years followed by a subspecialty fellowship year. Of course, if one is AP only, then two fellowships may be useful. But still, you spend the same number of years roughly. So if you're dead set on private practice or want to keep that option open, AP/CP is key, in my very limited experience based humble opinion.

There are occasional people who will argue that getting a private practice job with AP only is easier than rumored. But most seem to suggest the opposite. I think perhaps the private practice jobs available to AP only people are probably in the giant labs that are specialized. Having CP definitely makes you more marketable.

If you want an academic job, you basically have to do a fellowship or have research grants up the wazoo.