Is cramming for OMM during M1/M2 a bad idea? (as it relates to COMLEX)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like many of my classmates, I spend 90% of my time (I also probably spend more time studying than 90% of my classmates) learning the sciences and really only study OMM the week before the test. I do great on the science exams, and pretty good on OMM tests/practicals (mid 80s).....but as we all know, cramming isn't the best method for long-term retention.

One of my OMM professors told our class that you could very easily fail COMLEX if you don't do well on the OMM section (I'm not debating this right now) and that we need to be studying OMM as often as the other sciences. If I continue my methods, am I going to be screwed come COMLEX? OR is the level of OMM on COMLEX something you could seriously learn/re-learn over the course of an intensive week of study time?

Members don't see this ad.

honestly, if you have a pretty good grasp on OMM and a badass mnemonic for viscerosomatics, you will do well on the OMM sections of comlex

Reactions: 1 user
honestly, if you have a pretty good grasp on OMM and a badass mnemonic for viscerosomatics, you will do well on the OMM sections of comlex

What is a good grasp on OMM exactly? Because I frankly remember techniques about for like 2 weeks half of the time.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think that's the issue...I'm not going to have a great grasp on OMM with cramming...I would need to study non-stop, like I do the other subjects.

I guess what I'm wondering...can I approach COMLEX OMM studying with an average grasp on OMM, and get myself up to speed over the course of a week or so?

I think that's the issue...I'm not going to have a great grasp on OMM with cramming...I would need to study non-stop, like I do the other subjects.

I guess what I'm wondering...can I approach COMLEX OMM studying with an average grasp on OMM, and get myself up to speed over the course of a week or so?

Honestly judging on how ppl at my school study for OMM, i.e generally very lightly, we're all going to be fine. I mean honestly, you probably have retained enough information that is meaningful that by the time boards come around you'll be able to get the green book and be fine.

I'd study for written 2-3 days before and practicals the same. But in general, no you're fine. Most people do 1 week of OMM study for boards

Reactions: 1 users
Take the USMLE first, put 3-4 days in between before you take the COMLEX, and read/study Savarese 1-2 times in between the exams.

I know this is not politically correct but people in my school study for OMM theory the night before (and they do well), and OMM practical maybe 3-4 days before, if you can retain it for a week and half, dam good for you lol!

I've been meaning to ask an upperclassman this. I've been putting in ~2-3hrs the night before a written exam, and maybe a day or two before a practical. I was wondering what's actually on COMLEX, because it seems like most people in my class spend so little time on OMM (and it's not like 90% of the class fails step 1 every year).

Well this is all good to hear. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised the OMM professors were telling us we were going to fail COMLEX if we didnt study OMM regularly.

You're fine. Cramming is literally what everyone does for OMM. You have 2 years learning essentially the equivalent material that you would learn in 2 months of a medical subject. 2 years of cramming will equate to learning enough to cram for the shelf and the COMLEX.

Don't stress out over the omm. If you have savarese memorized you'll be more than adequately prepared for the omm portion of the comlex, it's pretty much all you need. It's a fast read, you could get through it in a few days. Get familiar with it during the spring and then cram it between the usmle and comlex and you'll be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine. Cramming is literally what everyone does for OMM. You have 2 years learning essentially the equivalent material that you would learn in 2 months of a medical subject. 2 years of cramming will equate to learning enough to cram for the shelf and the COMLEX.

Tbh, it kinda sucks that we learn OMM that way. We become completely and utterly frigid to it even when some parts of it are entirely helpful.

I always crammed OMM for written and practical tests and did fine. Crammed OMM for a few days after my Step 1 before step 2. Could have done better with pelvic Chapman's points and viscerosomatics, did average on Level 1. Forgot OMM existed until the few days between Step 2 and Level 2, and improved my Level 2 score significantly.

You'll be fine.

Forgot OMM existed until the few days between Step 2 and Level 2, and improved my Level 2 score significantly.

Oh man. I can't wait.

What's funny is that in second year I've discovered I don't even really dislike OMM. It took me spending a week with a PMR doc to figure that out. I just hate how it is presented. We've had two main instructors in two years and they are 100% opposites on everything. Hell, they just changed how we do muscle energy last week (and they were wrong, according to literally every source I've checked).

I'm ready to learn OMM in a more realistic way in a different setting like the sports med office I was in. That guy used what worked, didn't tell me to "believe" anything, and killed it. Our curriculum should be results oriented, not tradition based.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh man. I can't wait.

What's funny is that in second year I've discovered I don't even really dislike OMM. It took me spending a week with a PMR doc to figure that out. I just hate how it is presented. We've had two main instructors in two years and they are 100% opposites on everything. Hell, they just changed how we do muscle energy last week (and they were wrong, according to literally every source I've checked).

I'm ready to learn OMM in a more realistic way in a different setting like the sports med office I was in. That guy used what worked, didn't tell me to "believe" anything, and killed it. Our curriculum should be results oriented, not tradition based.

I've just realized that learning OMM without seeing it actually doing something to your healthy classmates is an awful way of learning the material. For PCM it's moderately ok, you can imagine what laxity of a torn acl is going to be like for an anterior drawer test. But actually watching a lymphatics technique work? Or watching tension release on a particular part of the back?

I digress.

Omm was always 1-2 days before the test. Anymore is a waste. I tried making a little guide for myself as i went along so it was easy to quickly review

Like many of my classmates, I spend 90% of my time (I also probably spend more time studying than 90% of my classmates) learning the sciences and really only study OMM the week before the test. I do great on the science exams, and pretty good on OMM tests/practicals (mid 80s).....but as we all know, cramming isn't the best method for long-term retention.

One of my OMM professors told our class that you could very easily fail COMLEX if you don't do well on the OMM section (I'm not debating this right now) and that we need to be studying OMM as often as the other sciences. If I continue my methods, am I going to be screwed come COMLEX? OR is the level of OMM on COMLEX something you could seriously learn/re-learn over the course of an intensive week of study time?

It depends on the school, some schools make a big deal out of OMM, others don't. If your school makes it a big part of the curriculum, cramming might not work.

Well this is all good to hear. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised the OMM professors were telling us we were going to fail COMLEX if we didnt study OMM regularly.

Spend 3 days with the green book and you'll pass.

Understand OMM for the exams during years 1 and 2, do a brain dump, and when you go to take COMLEX, 3-6 days with Savarese will get you most of the OMM points on the exam.

This thread has made me feel a lot better about my far less than perfect studying when it comes to OMM

It depends on the school, some schools make a big deal out of OMM, others don't. If your school makes it a big part of the curriculum, cramming might not work.

What does this have to do with COMLEX?