Is December too late to start applying for job (I am a resident)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donaldtang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year resident currently applying for fellowship.
I am considering a job of primary care physician in an academic setting if I cannot get into fellowship.
However, the result for fellowship match will not be available till December.
Is it too late to start the application by that time? I have no geographical preference, however, I do need green card sponsorship.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not "too late", but it's late. Especially if you need a GC -- because in that case you can't have a pause (otherwise if you didn't work in July/Aug it wouldn't be horrible). I would suggest that you start looking for positions now-November, so that you have the process started. You can then schedule interviews if the fellowship match doesn't work out.

Depends on when you want to start working, what field you are going into (is there demand in your field in the area you want) ... it may be early, late, or just fine.

Remember, once you find the job that you want (and accepted their offer), the clock is still ticking ...

Keep in mind that if you need to move to a new state to start your new job (that you don't know where yet), you will need time to get licensed in that state. Depending on the state, it could be several months to half a year or longer.

Keep in mind that it can be a long process to get credentialed at the hospital where you are going to work .... that can take a while (depending on the hospital). If it is an academic medical center, it may be a slow process (AMCs aren't exactly know for being models of speed and efficiency)

It may also take some time to be credentialed/processed with various insurance companies/HMOs/medicare/medicaid so that you can bill for your service

And since you are looking for GC sponsorship ... not sure how long it takes to process immigration paperwork (between HR, ICE, etc)

Keep in mind that if you need to move to a new state to start your new job (that you don't know where yet), you will need time to get licensed in that state. Depending on the state, it could be several months to half a year or longer.
This is important. If you're targeting a particular area for a job, get a license there now. Sure, you'll be out some money up front, but you might save a ton on the backend. If you're shotgunning your application, this is less of a rational approach.

Keep in mind that it can be a long process to get credentialed at the hospital where you are going to work .... that can take a while (depending on the hospital). If it is an academic medical center, it may be a slow process (AMCs aren't exactly know for being models of speed and efficiency)
To be fair though, I have credentials at 5 separate hospital systems including the University which was the first one to approve me by about 2 months.

It may also take some time to be credentialed/processed with various insurance companies/HMOs/medicare/medicaid so that you can bill for your service
Again, at least in my case, CMS was speedy (before any of the hospitals in fact) but some of the insurance companies took 6 months or more.

And since you are looking for GC sponsorship ... not sure how long it takes to process immigration paperwork (between HR, ICE, etc)
This is, I would guess, the biggest issue for the OP. Because without this, license, credentials and privileges don't matter at all. And I think (but might be wrong) that this needs to be in place on July 1 or he has to leave the country and then it's all over.