Is deemed acceptable to say you've been accepted elsewhere during an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puppylove89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm in this boat as of now, but I assume many of you are or will be soon...When you've been accepted to a school and you're interviewing at another school, is it taboo to tell the interviewer you've been accepted to another school if they ask what other schools you're applying to?

Not quite sure if that makes you look valuable or just like you're boasting.

Members don't see this ad.

It is more rude to ask than it is to respond.

But what if they do ask? Do you just answer it honestly by telling them about your acceptances? Or say you haven't gotten any acceptances yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't lie. Use it as a chance to say why you'd rather go to their school. That's what they want to hear.. after all, if you didn't want to go to their school, you'd have canceled your interview after being accepted at a place you'd rather go.

But what if they do ask? Do you just answer it honestly by telling them about your acceptances? Or say you haven't gotten any acceptances yet?
When someone is rude, a polite person can either respond directly or gently say something like "I'm cautiously optimistic regarding my prospects." Hopefully the inquisitor will take the hint.

"Yes, I've been accepted to XX school, but I am still weighing my options, and your school has a lot to offer that plays directly into my future career aspirations. I really enjoy A, B, and C about your school and I've been impressed by the friendly atmosphere and the high quality facilities. I don't believe it's prudent to make a fast decision with something as important as a medical education."

Don't lie. Use it as a chance to say why you'd rather go to their school. That's what they want to hear.. after all, if you didn't want to go to their school, you'd have canceled your interview after being accepted at a place you'd rather go.

+1

Respond honestly. Interviewed at some places and got accepted in here and there. And then I would change the topic to "why this school instead?"

I don't think it is particularly rude to ask such questions, so long as the way it is asked is genuine and honestly curious. If I were an interviewer and genuinely interested in accepting this exceptional applicant, I would also want to inquire into what his/her status is for other schools. Some interviewers asked such questions to me, and they seemed appreciative with my honest answers.

+1

Respond honestly. Interviewed at some places and got accepted in here and there. And then I would change the topic to "why this school instead?"

I don't think it is particularly rude to ask such questions, so long as the way it is asked is genuine and honestly curious. If I were an interviewer and genuinely interested in accepting this exceptional applicant, I would also want to inquire into what his/her status is for other schools. Some interviewers asked such questions to me, and they seemed appreciative with my honest answers.
The power differential in the interview process makes this kind of inquiry especially unnecessary. I hope this happens to none of you.

"Yes, I've been accepted to XX school, but I am still weighing my options, and your school has a lot to offer that plays directly into my future career aspirations. I really enjoy A, B, and C about your school and I've been impressed by the friendly atmosphere and the high quality facilities. I don't believe it's prudent to make a fast decision with something as important as a medical education."

This is perfectly fine.

Along the same note, is it rude for them to ask where else you applied? I've gotten this question several times and I just gave a very vague answer along the lines of "I used the shotgun method of applying."

I have no problem with asking if someone is accepted elsewhere, but only because I ask a hypothetical that requires knowing if they're in someplace (and if not, I change the wording of the question slightly).

But I'd never, ever ask "where"

Along the same note, is it rude for them to ask where else you applied? I've gotten this question several times and I just gave a very vague answer along the lines of "I used the shotgun method of applying."

I had an interviewer ask that. I answered him honestly, and he actually seemed pleased, saying, "I'm glad you didn't just apply to every single Texas school like everyone else does." Cause I didn't apply to the school in El Paso because it's too far from my family. I was glad he approved, though it was awkward.

He followed that up with, "I'm just going to pretend you didn't apply to any out-of-state schools since everyone knows the best schools are here." I was like O.O

Some fightin' words right there. :p

This is none of their business. It has nothing to do with your suitability at their school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no problem with asking if someone is accepted elsewhere, but only because I ask a hypothetical that requires knowing if they're in someplace (and if not, I change the wording of the question slightly).

But I'd never, ever ask "where"

As a hypothetical, this type of question is fine. If not accepted, what would you do...

At my first interview, they asked me where else I had interviews. At the time I was scheduled for four, two of which were top 20. I thought that was a little awkward/weird to ask, but I didn't know what else to do, so I replied honestly. Who knows, might have had a role in being accepted relatively quickly. :shrug:

At nearly every interview I have had, I have been asked where else I am applying. At a recent interview, my interviewer told me that AAMC regulations allow them to ask where you have applied, but not where you have been accepted. Anyone have insight on this?

At nearly every interview I have had, I have been asked where else I am applying. At a recent interview, my interviewer told me that AAMC regulations allow them to ask where you have applied, but not where you have been accepted. Anyone have insight on this?

Regardless of what the regulations say, don't feel compelled to share this information if you're uncomfortable with it. Interviewers shouldn't be asking questions like that as they aren't germane to your application to their school, but in the event they bring it up I don't think it would be inappropriate to either beat around the bush (preferred) or refuse to answer (might ruffle feathers but still not terribly inappropriate IMO).

To be honest, I've had some interviewers ask where I was applying because they wanted to get a sense of what characteristics I was looking for in a school. I'm inclined to buy it because the people who said that were all involved in education research and/or curriculum development at their medical school.

To be honest, I've had some interviewers ask where I was applying because they wanted to get a sense of what characteristics I was looking for in a school. I'm inclined to buy it because the people who said that were all involved in education research and/or curriculum development at their medical school.

I felt the same way, which is why I answered honestly. My "gut feeling" was that my particular interviewer wasn't out to get me but was genuinely interested in getting to know me.

At my last interview, I was asked point-blank, "Where else are you interviewing?"

I did not expect the question nor did I have a prepared answer, so I just answered truthfully. It came up because the interviewer mentioned that they tend to lose students out to another New York school. He also wrote down my responses.

Was this terribly inappropriate? Did I make a mistake by not beating around the bush?

To think of it, the entire interview was unorthodox...

I was asked where I had interviewed and if I had been accepted or not...I promptly got wait listed. I answered honestly, but I didn't do a great job at conveying I would rather be at their school, and the truth is I didn't really want to be there in the end so I think it came through.

The power differential in the interview process makes this kind of inquiry especially unnecessary. I hope this happens to none of you.

stony brook asked me for a list of places that sent me an interview invite

I was asked where else I was applying by one of the deans of admissions at a school. She then proceeded to try to convince me to attend her school.

She was really nice and the entire conversation was great. But that was kind of odd.

The same thing happened when I interviewed with the Dean of Admissions at UT San Antonio. At the end of the interview, he started trying to convince me that I should go to UT San Antonio.

Both times it happened, I was thinking: "But, wait? I'm trying to convince you that I should get in here!"

Edit: Now that I think of it, it also happened at Baylor too. Both the student interviewer and the faculty member tried to convince me to go there. Don't these people realize how desperate I am to get in anywhere!

Yeah, I got this question too and I tried to glaze it over (my premed advisor had recommended this, idk) and said, "I've applied to other schools and received interviews but X is at the top of my list." But the interviewer wouldn't drop it and asked, "Where have you applied and where have you gotten interviews?" So I just said, "Schools in New York and state schools in Florida." And he said, "Which schools?" He was not gonna let it drop so I finally caved. It was so uncomfortable. But I got accepted so I guess no harm no foul. :)

I don't think it is particularly rude to ask such questions, so long as the way it is asked is genuine and honestly curious.

You may not consider it rude, but I'm fairly certain it's one of those questions they're not supposed to ask applicants. When I give tours, I make an effort not to ask where else they are interviewing, but asked early in the season if it was their first interview, or if they had gotten others. Mostly to try to calm them down.

Answer honestly, or hedge your answer a bit by describing regions. Most of the time, it's just a part of the conversation.

You may not consider it rude, but I'm fairly certain it's one of those questions they're not supposed to ask applicants. When I give tours, I make an effort not to ask where else they are interviewing, but asked early in the season if it was their first interview, or if they had gotten others. Mostly to try to calm them down.

I commonly ask that in interviews mostly just so I can set my expectations accordingly; I'll sometimes give a little leeway with respect to nerves, being a little disjointed, etc. if an applicant tells me this is their first interview. I agree though that that is really as close as an interviewer should get to asking questions about interviews/acceptances.

Also, keep in mind that while interviewers shouldn't ask you directly about these things, if you volunteer information then you are liable to be asked about it. Don't mention information if you don't want to be put in a position to further expand upon it.

Dean of one of the medical schools I interviewed at last year revealed that the admissions committee already knows where you have received interviews/acceptances/rejections/waitlist/etc so definitely be honest if asked.

Personally, after my 1st acceptance I only attended interviews at schools I would rather attend. So it was easy to honestly say "I have already been accepted at X medical school, but I really want to attend your university" or something along those lines. Accepted at everywhere I interviewed and by no means would I say I am a stellar interviewee

no they don't
they are not told where you applied to, where you interviewed at, where you were rejected or where you are on the waitlist
if they accept you, they know which other schools accepted you sometime in the spring
on may 15th, you have to drop all of your other acceptances and choose one. there's a grace period if you are accepted or come off of a waitlist after that date

I've been accepted at several schools and almost every school I interviewed at directly asked me where I applied/how
many interviews/where you interviewed. One school in the top ten even asks you directly on the the part of the survey thats not confidential. They know. I even had one person tell me not to bs with him lol. Come on. They know. Like I am from a certain city and area that has a few schools. The interviewer went to the school 45 min away from me. He asked did I apply to my alma and that school. What am I gonna say no? Lol.

I've been accepted at several schools and almost every school I interviewed at directly asked me where I applied/how
many interviews/where you interviewed. One school in the top ten even asks you directly on the the part of the survey thats not confidential. They know. I even had one person tell me not to bs with him lol. Come on. They know. Like I am from a certain city and area that has a few schools. The interviewer went to the school 45 min away from me. He asked did I apply to my alma and that school. What am I gonna say no? Lol.

That's called logic. Most people apply to local schools. Every adcom would probably correctly guess that, as a PA resident, I applied to Penn State, Temple, Drexel, etc.

They absolutely do not know where you applied.

so what you're saying is that they know where you applied so they went through the trouble of asking you for the names instead of just looking at some little list that you think they have

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/305002/canschoolsseeotherschools.html

This. The posts in pre-allo lately make it seem like everyone thinks that adcoms have infinite time on their hands to play these games.

I told schools that I was accepted somewhere else. I think it's a booster.

I've a related question.

I had an interview where the first interviewer asked what I'd do if I didn't get in. I didn't want to be rude or anything by saying that I'd already been accepted, thinking that this was one of those personality questions, so I answered that I'd find out where I went wrong, improve my app, apply to do schools, and if everything failed after several tries I'd become a high school teacher because I see similarities between teaching and medicine. Great answer, and she says she's sure I'll get in somewhere.

Second interviewer asks be point blank if I'd been accepted, and I can't lie or evade such a direct q, so I say that I have.

Am I in trouble here? Will the two talk and find it odd or damning that I didn't speak out in the first case?

I've a related question.

I had an interview where the first interviewer asked what I'd do if I didn't get in. I didn't want to be rude or anything by saying that I'd already been accepted, thinking that this was one of those personality questions, so I answered that I'd find out where I went wrong, improve my app, apply to do schools, and if everything failed after several tries I'd become a high school teacher because I see similarities between teaching and medicine. Great answer, and she says she's sure I'll get in somewhere.

Second interviewer asks be point blank if I'd been accepted, and I can't lie or evade such a direct q, so I say that I have.

Am I in trouble here? Will the two talk and find it odd or damning that I didn't speak out in the first case?

:rolleyes: you're fine.

The first interviewer asked you a hypothetical question. Sometimes I ask a similar question to find out if the applicant has passions other than medicine, but I make it a point to say that it's strictly a hypothetical question.

It would be a horrible move to be asked that hypothetical question and then say "well, I've already been accepted to X school of medicine."

:rolleyes: you're fine.

The first interviewer asked you a hypothetical question. Sometimes I ask a similar question to find out if the applicant has passions other than medicine, but I make it a point to say that it's strictly a hypothetical question.

It would be a horrible move to be asked that hypothetical question and then say "well, I've already been accepted to X school of medicine."

I did this exact thing at one of my interviews (already accepted, asked that hypothetical, then said I didn't have to worry about that because I already got in somewhere). The response was very positive from the interviewer and I got accepted to that school.

Not saying it's correct to say what I said, but just want to emphasize the random nature of the process, and that any aspect of your application/interview can be perceived differently by different interviewers. It truly is a random process, in the sense that one thing I say can please someone, but piss off someone else at the same school, same interview day. Of course, there are always blatantly wrong answers that will piss any interviewer off, but I digress...