General Is double majoring worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently finished my first semester at a challenging school with a 4.0 and am wondering if I should add a double major to my current one.

I'm interested in leadership within academic medicine in a medical (non-surgical) specialty. Career-wise, I think adding a Public Health double would be beneficial, or a music minor to solidify that I enjoy spending my time partaking in a non-medical related activity.

However, do SDN experts believe it is worth double majoring? Academics are not really an issue for me, so there's no deterrent, but would that time be better allocated elsewhere? Are double majors perceived better for T20 admissions?
Yes, your time is much better allocated elsewhere. Volunteering, clinical hours, research, MCAT studying all come to mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Admissions committees don't really care about double majors. Do it if you like the subject. You won't be able to spend that much time learning about music, art, foreign language, etc for a long, long time. '
I was a double art history and biology major. I value my art history major (visual cultural literacy as I like to call it) more now than anything I learned in biology class.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess I would think of it as...do it ONLY if you are interested in it, but do not let it take away the other things I mentioned above because those are what are going to get you into medical school...not the double major.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many people do double major. Only do it if its interesting to you. It doesn't really strengthen your app unless that second major lines up with some sort of special track you are applying for in medical school.

When you make it through medical school your major (or minor) will no longer matter. Only double major if it is something you're truly interested in and if it will not detract from other activities that need to be done for med school admissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.