Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA and sGPA: 3.66, 3.57 (3.97 in last 40 hours & 7 upper biology courses)
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 495->506
State of residence: Alabama
Ethnicity and/or race: ORM
Undergraduate institution or category: State School
Clinical: 150 hours of volunteering at a hospital spread over the past 4 years
Non-Clinical: 125 hours of local community volunteering.
Shadowing: 50 hours FM. 25 hours General Surgery
Research: 2 years in organic lab. 1 year at public health nonprofit where I got 2 poster presentation awards.
leadership: resident assistant, officer in few clubs, and senator in student government

A state school MD has offered me a conditional acceptance after completing their masters program. I am in this program but it doesn't limit me from applying to other programs. I was wondering if it is worth it to try to other schools or am I just donating money to other programs. I only applied to 4 schools last cycle.

early school list:

University of Alabama School of Medicine
University of South Alabama School of Medicine
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
Northeast Ohio Medical University
The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences
University of Arizona College of Medicine
University of Louisville School of Medicine
University of South Carolina School of Medicine Columbia
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
University of Washington School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
I guess my first question is, would you prefer attending any of those OOS schools over the school you would have a conditional acceptance to? Because I think you're a long-shot at the OOS schools anyways, and your best shot by far is just getting linkage. So if you would prefer to go to your in-state school anyways because it's likely much cheaper, then I'm not sure what the point of applying OOS is.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, with a 506 your chances of getting other interviews are pretty slim. If you like the state school, it may be easier just to be done with it and relax. You could save some money too.

I'm going to be more blunt, o p. State schools favor the home team, and for them you need to be above average. Your stats are not above average. You're fine for DO right now.

A fair number of the schools on your list would be donations because they take relatively few out of state residents. Loma Linda accepts only Seventh-day Adventist, or extremely devout Christians

I'm going to be more blunt, o p. State schools favor the home team, and for them you need to be above average. Your stats are not above average. You're fine for DO right now.

A fair number of the schools on your list would be donations because they take relatively few out of state residents. Loma Linda accepts only Seventh-day Adventist, or extremely devout Christians
Agree. Personally would just take the acceptance and relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.