Is Drexel that bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indigo252

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few people really hating on Drexel on SDN -- what do you think? Can anyone come to its defense? What makes it so bad? I think I'd like the PBL curriculum and students seem happy... I'm trying to decide between UCONN and Drexel. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have an acceptance from UConn, I would suggest you take it and run like mad. For perspective, I'm the one who created this year's Drexel acceptance thread. Oh Drexel. Bahaha.

Oh my God do I hate these threads. OP, this is nothing against you, but you guys need to really cut it out with this crap. There is nothing wrong with Drexel. I wish they would have given me an interview, as do the thousands of others who got rejected post secondary. Congrats on the acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Its funny if you know the history of drexel. Yes, now it is considered a "lower tier" school...whatever that means. At one time (only like 40 years ago) it was one of the top schools in the country. People lined up to go there and now it is seen as a backup. There is nothing wrong with it. Philly is similar to boston in that there is tons of universities and tons to do. You get a perfectly fine education. Now, the drexel campus for undergrad is a bit on the crap side if you are used to traditional college campuses with lots of green and what not, but it is on the ok side in comparison to universities located in cities. I've never checked out the actual medical area, so I can't testify but I know some excellent physicians that came out there and have met some very smart people that go there.

I agree xanth (btw, way to ditch the crew)

I took to heart what people said about rfu until i visited.... I LOVED it.

At one time (only like 40 years ago) it was one of the top schools in the country. People lined up to go there and now it is seen as a backup. There is nothing wrong with it. Philly is similar to boston in that there is tons of universities and tons to do. You get a perfectly fine education. Now, the drexel campus for undergrad is a bit on the crap side if you are used to traditional college campuses with lots of green and what not, but it is on the ok side in comparison to universities located in cities. I've never checked out the actual medical area, so I can't testify but I know some excellent physicians that came out there and have met some very smart people that go there.

I have a hard time believing that Drexel/MCP Hahnemann was ever considered a "top school". It was certainly never the top program in Philadelphia.

That said, you'll receive solid instruction at Drexel. And Hahnemann hospital is located in the heart of the city.

I also got the impression that Drexel isn't all that great from posts I've read on SDN. When I visited the campus, it was very nice. I had a good time in both my interviews and I really like the location of the hospital in downtown philly. From what I hear, the clinical years are where Drexel is "lacking" but I really have no clue if this is true or not.

Oh my God do I hate these threads. OP, this is nothing against you, but you guys need to really cut it out with this crap. There is nothing wrong with Drexel. I wish they would have given me an interview, as do the thousands of others who got rejected post secondary. Congrats on the acceptance.

Many apologies -- I certainly didn't intend the tone that perhaps came across. I really, really liked Drexel (a lot!) after my interview and was surprised about the negativity on SDN. I just wanted more info to try to reconcile my good impression of the school with the grim posts I read here. Thanks, all, for your feedback.

bill cosby wore a drexel sweater during one of the episodes of the cosby show...so it must be a top program..haha..seriously though, its a great school. my good friends older brother just graduated from there, and will be starting his residency in ortho in san diego (not sure if its ucsd or whatever though).

I also got the impression that Drexel isn't all that great from posts I've read on SDN. When I visited the campus, it was very nice. I had a good time in both my interviews and I really like the location of the hospital in downtown philly. From what I hear, the clinical years are where Drexel is "lacking" but I really have no clue if this is true or not.

Yep. There has been inconsistency with the corporation that owns Drexel's hospital. There has not been the stability there that there has been with Penn, Temple and Jefferson who all share a name (and could we extend that to mission?) with the medical school. That is likely why Drexel gets a knock on its clinical years. In addition, there is the distance from med school to main teaching hospital, which some people may consider a negative.

There really is no such thing as a "bad" medical school in the US (except for Stewie U!). Congrats!