Is Early Decision The Best Decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luchthept

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in a situation where I have 4 schools on my list for applying, although there is only 1 school I truly want to go to/see myself going to. My stats match up perfectly with the school, and this school is the only school out of the 4 that have rolling admissions. The other 3 schools have deadlines ranging from November-January. I wanted to apply early decision to get it out of the way, especially since this school is the only school I really want to go to. However, with that deadline being 2 weeks away, I am still left waiting on one more person to submit their recommendation letter and one to verify a setting for my observation hours. I am also in the process of getting some more OH completed. Besides this, my application is complete. I'm wondering if it will make any true difference if I switch my PTCAS to regular decision, just so I don't feel rushed with getting the remaining things completed. For example, if I submit my application by the end of August during regular decision, will the school get back to me in a timely manner (by at least Oct), so if rejected, I'll be able to start applying to the other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in a situation where I have 4 schools on my list for applying, although there is only 1 school I truly want to go to/see myself going to. My stats match up perfectly with the school, and this school is the only school out of the 4 that have rolling admissions. The other 3 schools have deadlines ranging from November-January. I wanted to apply early decision to get it out of the way, especially since this school is the only school I really want to go to. However, with that deadline being 2 weeks away, I am still left waiting on one more person to submit their recommendation letter and one to verify a setting for my observation hours. I am also in the process of getting some more OH completed. Besides this, my application is complete. I'm wondering if it will make any true difference if I switch my PTCAS to regular decision, just so I don't feel rushed with getting the remaining things completed. For example, if I submit my application by the end of August during regular decision, will the school get back to me in a timely manner (by at least Oct), so if rejected, I'll be able to start applying to the other schools?

I think each program may differ slightly, but I know one early decision program (Chapman university in California) has an early decision deadline August 15 and they get back to you about their decision around early to mid September. This gives you time to apply o other programs if you don’t get in for early decision. If possibly, double check with that specific school to see when they usually respond for early decision applicants!

You increase your chances to get accepted if you apply to early decisions. Who knows how many spots will be left after the early decision people get accepted.
It takes 5 min to verify your observation hours and maybe 15 to write you a recommendation letter. So if you can ask those people to do it "by this Mon" (or whatever day you pick, just pick the day that is not the real deadline), it would work for you.
If your OH meet the minimum requirements now, that is good enough to apply for early decision.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I highly recommend ED especially if you are set on going to this school! All applicants who apply early decision have to hear back by the end of September. You can either get accepted or deferred into the regular admissions pool so technically you can't get rejected. Just kindly ask the people who you're waiting on if they can get things turned in by the deadline. I personally did ED and got into my program last year so I don't see any disadvantages of doing it.

Reactions: 1 user