Is EM a good launchpad for hospital administrative positions??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealthHare

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if EM is a good specialty if I'M considering transitioning into a more administrative position further down my medical career (e.g CEO, COO, Director,etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if EM is a good specialty if I'M considering transitioning into a more administrative position further down my medical career (e.g CEO, COO, Director,etc.)?

Sure is. We interact closely with most of the other players in the hospital and we are very accustomed to working on a multidisciniplary team both of which are a plus for an administrater. At my current institution we are part of a health system with two hospitals. Both of the CEO's are EM trained. The Chief of Staff at the primary hospital is also EM trained.

iride

Not to mention that we usually have more time on our hands then most hospital based specialties...

In my system all of the administrators are non-medical business types. However the Chief Medidal Officer for the system is an EM guy.

That said we do have the advantages mentioned above but we also have some disadvantages. The main one being our status as contract doc's or (less commonly) employees. Since we don't wield a large practice full of well insured patients we can't use that as a negotiating tool.