Is Emergency Medicine considered primary care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PainMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
or is it just Interal Med and Family. Wondering for state sponsered loan forgiveness in underserved areas....

Members don't see this ad.

The National Health Service Corp considers family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, psychiatry, and obstetrics/gynecology as primary care specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think geriatrics is a primary care specialty. Check this <a href="http://medicine.ucsf.edu/resources/guidelines/primary.html" target="_blank">link</a>.

I'm not sure about the technical classification, but I'm on a primary care scholarship, and it does include Emergency medicine.

Elvis, thats what Im talk'n about!...which scholarship are you using?

Oooooooooooooh, that would help. Do post the scholarship and what you had to do to get it! Thanks!!!!!!

I just recently got accepted to University of Kansas medical school and in kansas ER is considered primary care.

I believe the loan that Elvis is referring to is called the Kansas Medical Student Loan program or something to that effect. Free schooling for four years plus a stipend if you agree to work in rural kansas for 4 years after residency.

That's just info from Kansas though, i don't know how other states work stuff.

I'm sure Elvis would be able to answer this better,

later

Right on 12R34Y, It is a scholarship from the Kansas Medical Society. From what I've heard, most states have a similar program. I get my tuition paid, and $1500 per month. Then I agree to work in Kansas, outside of the counties which have the 5 larges cities, for 1 year for each year I take the scholarship. It turns out to be about $25,000 per year of scholarship. Basically, I have to work in FP, Internal Medicine, OB/GYN, Peds, or ER. We also have the option to stay on as Staff at KU, or work at any Kansas veteran's hospital. Those also count. The best part is, since you have a pretty wide choice of where to work, you still get heavily recruited and collect a competitive salary, which for rural kansas, is about $175,000. And, at the end of 4 years, you're debt free without ever paying a penny. Check with your financial aid office to see if your state offers a similar program, and congrats on your acceptance 12R34Y!

Thanks Elvis.......I did NOT know that an option was to stay on at KU and work in the medical center! that sheds a whole new light on the KSML program.

How competitive is it? Do you have to be from rural Kansas?

later

I think they offer it to 25 to 50 students. Supposedly, students from rural kansas get priority. However, I'm from Johnson County and still got it. So I'd say it's not terribly competitive.

Cool.....thanks for the info elvis

later