-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
is everyone going to med school to be a doc
Started by Phoebe
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Healthy mix here too. I want to treat the individual, but also contribute the the larger body of medical knowledge. I plan on working attached to a university institution for my career, and hopefully have the opportunity to teach medical students/undergraduates while doing research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here. But there is this guy in my lab who is pre-med, and he wants to do only research after med school. I told him he probably shouldn't mention that in his inteviews.I am a people person not a bench person.
I wonder if everyone wants to go to med school to be a doctor to treat people? Myself is more inclined to do medical related research...anyone with me?
😛
I'm more interested in public health and policy issues, but it's clear that an MD helps with that. I think only a few people go to med schooling knowing that treating people is only one aspect of what they want to pursue. By the time they graduate? A lot more. My college buddy who's now a surgeon said about 20% of his class did not go on to get licensed. They used their MD for research, administration, policy, etc.
is every resident required to do 2-yr research?Why? Especially if he wants MD/PhD (which he should concerning his focus), there is nothing wrong with coming out and saying that he wants to be involved in research - schools would not look unfavorably on that. Especially the big research schools. Research is a huge and very critical part of the medical profession.
I heard those residents saying these 2-yr are the easiest time of their life.😕
Healthy mix here too. I want to treat the individual, but also contribute the the larger body of medical knowledge. I plan on working attached to a university institution for my career, and hopefully have the opportunity to teach medical students/undergraduates while doing research.
medicine education is really hot now.👍
lucky you..I am a people person not a bench person.
more and more i found doing research needs a lot of ppl skills, too.
QofQuimica
Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
I'm here because I want to do more clinical research, but like you, I'm not really planning to practice. I was considering not even doing a residency, although I've pretty much decided now that I will do one. Considering how much work it is to get an MD, it's kind of foolish not to get a license to use it. 🙂I wonder if everyone wants to go to med school to be a doctor to treat people? Myself is more inclined to do medical related research...anyone with me?
😛
I'm more interested in public health and policy issues, but it's clear that an MD helps with that. I think only a few people go to med schooling knowing that treating people is only one aspect of what they want to pursue. By the time they graduate? A lot more. My college buddy who's now a surgeon said about 20% of his class did not go on to get licensed. They used their MD for research, administration, policy, etc.
IF you are interested in health and policy issues, might I suggest an MD/JD or MD/MPH.
I love clinical research and plan on incorporating that into my academic career. I also enjoy teaching.
However, for those of you who are bent on just doing bench research, I would question why you are interested in attending medical school instead of getting a PhD in a field of interest. Is it merely prestige?
However, for those of you who are bent on just doing bench research, I would question why you are interested in attending medical school instead of getting a PhD in a field of interest. Is it merely prestige?
QofQuimica
Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Having an MD focuses the types of basic science questions that people tend to ask. It's harder to ask clinically relevant questions if you don't have any clinically relevant experience. Plus, if these posters are all nontrads, they may not want to spend that much time getting an MD/PhD or even just a PhD. It's not uncommon for an experimental PhD to take six years to complete post-college. Someone who finishes in five years post-college is doing really well, and four years for an experimental PhD would be ambitious in most cases, at least in the US. So getting an MD is almost certainly going to be faster versus a PhD. Then there is the issue that even if an older applicant wanted to do an MD/PhD, the programs might not be willing to accept them. I think that MD programs are understandably more open to taking older students than MD/PhD programs are.I love clinical research and plan on incorporating that into my academic career. I also enjoy teaching.
However, for those of you who are bent on just doing bench research, I would question why you are interested in attending medical school instead of getting a PhD in a field of interest. Is it merely prestige?
I left a PhD program to pursue clinical practice, so yeah, i want to work "clinically"