Is evolution a debated topic in the veterinary field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Vet students are very diverse bunch, we have the ultra animal rights activist, the 'anti-human contact' types and of course fundamentalist religious types.

In my cohort only one guy is a creationist (that I know of), he also thinks that specialized animal care is rubbish as they are just 'animals' and have no soul. Somehow this guy managed to enter vet school and needless to say he is not the most popular guy around.

In answering the threadstarter's question; no, evolution is not a debated topic in vet field. Even in human medicine, some of my friends reported that there are creationists doing medicine. Clearly acceptance of the theory is not really needed for one to apply its principles.

Members don't see this ad.

That reminded me of something. I was actually bullied by a Christian because I do not eat meat. I never did anything to the guy but once he found out, he had the desire to remind me that animals have no souls and that they were put on this earth only for us to eat. He would also brag about hunting (funny, I could care less if he went hunting) and joined in when people would taunt "For every animal you don't eat, I am going to eat THREE." What happened to "love thy neighbor" you dirty hypocrite?

Sorry. That post just reminded me of that.
If he graduated more than 20 years ago, it was a lot easier to get in. I do know a professor who took a career aptitude test and was told to go into business. He decided to go into vet med because it was the opposite of what he was told to do. He applied, got in... I guess everyone got in 40 years ago. Then he went into teaching.

I think it would be unethical to practice that way because of your beliefs. You should have a good solid reason as to why the animal should not have a, b and c done and it should not be influenced by whether or not you think animals have souls. I highly doubt he walks into an exam room and says "Animals have no souls. Therefore your dog requires no more treatment. You are free to go". Instead he will come up with fancy excuses as to why A, B and C does not have to be done and the average Joe (who believes everything the doctor tells him) will smile, nod and go on his merry way. That hurts just thinking about it!

I still disagree with you guys. I watched his best part of that game, the 4th quarter & OT, and saw a defense that is creating opportunities, a kicker with a hell of a leg and some lucky breaks. Nothing to do with the QB.

edit: also I don't believe in the whole idea of "clutch" so that may be where we diverge.

Bahaha, it's hilarious that this came up again because I was thinking of you during the game, Nyanko! I wanted to wait to resurrect the thread until he was in the playoffs, though, so I could quote you back at yourself :D

Nah, but that's okay. There are going to be people that will never like him and say it was luck or say that he's really just a running back (cool, Urlacher, cool) but I like the fact that he's able to succeed, however ugly his throws might be or however late his inspiration comes. I thought he looked decent against Minn last week, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually have a soft spot for the Giants because my sister went to school with a Mara kid and the Mara family has been really good to her (and me the last time I went to NYC) so a Steelers-Giants superbowl would be like the Steelers-Packers one was for me - I'd root like hell for the black and gold but if they lost, it wouldn't kill me like it would if they lost oh say to the Cowboys or some junk.

The only thing dumber than the original topic is:

Wait for it...

Football.

fc0mN_medium.png

Incorrect! Even bad football is better than no football. First lesson I learned up here in Canada. I refuse to watch CFL (sorry to my Canadian classmates. But it's true :D)

CFL? I'm Canadian and even I can support your ideas on "CFL".

Anyways... grid iron football is stupid. Watch real footy. i.e. rugby.

Oops I hope I didn't just start another religious debate.