is FM more competitive than IM and Neurology or less?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citixen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to Neuro, but for FM and IM it really depends on the program. Some FM programs are much more competitive than a large % of IM programs, but the inverse is also true. I think the best IM and FM programs attract very different types of people, but if you are just going by Board scores and such then the best IM programs are more competitive.

I can't speak to Neuro, but for FM and IM it really depends on the program. Some FM programs are much more competitive than a large % of IM programs, but the inverse is also true. I think the best IM and FM programs attract very different types of people, but if you are just going by Board scores and such then the best IM programs are more competitive.
hi , thanks! yes, i'm talking about scores. but interesting, what do you mean different types of people?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi , thanks! yes, i'm talking about scores. but interesting, what do you mean different types of people?

People who apply to FM generally don't have an interest in specializing whereas a good proportion of IM applicants will go on to specialize. I'm guessing that's what the previous poster was referring to.

Recently became interested in FM and have highly competitive board scores and grades. Which programs should I be looking into? Which FM programs are highly competitive and why are they so competitive? Location, job/fellowship placement/lifestyle? Thanks.