is getting accepted as impossible as people make it out to be

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know you bowed out, but a passing Step 1 score is 192. A 190 is the 4th percentile. I think you could understand how a student who will "at least pass" wouldn't be a school's ideal choice.

In many countries, people in the 60th percentile on med school entrance exams would have no chance. Here, plenty of 27s and 28s get to go to MD schools

https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf

The data he was talking about without realizing it is on page 52 here. Yeah, after 27 you have close to the same chance of passing Step 1 as anyone else. But really that's not at all what Step 1 is about; whether or not you can merely pass it. People's futures and paths are often decided by how well they do on it well beyond passing it ie 215 vs 235 vs 255 type stuff. No school is interested in admitting someone who can merely "pass" and show they will probably get by. Look at the chart a couple pages before, even the majority of 2.7/24's who get into MD schools graduate. No school wants to be concerned with people who can merely get by; they want people who can excel.

And yes in some ways the US is rather lucky that a 28 has gotten plenty of people into MD schools in the past. And this doesn't even account for DO schools where 24-25 median MCATs have been a thing at schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't want to comment too much on it here but, yes, it has become a test where if you're wealthy enough to hire a tutor, you'll do fine irregardless of your aptitude or reasoning skills. Not to mention that it is now only offered in a few select months in the year and costs $300. Yes, $300.

I'm sorry, I wasn't going to say anything, but then you used this word a second time. Irregardless is a double negative and not a proper word. The proper term is just regardless. That's all I had to say. Good day.

Reactions: 2 users
So, UW is essentially running "little SOMs" in these other states? Or am I misunderstanding?

Basically, yes - there are 6 "foundational sites" where students spend the first 2 years. Then in M3 and M4 all students at any campus can travel around the 5 states and do their rotations anywhere. It's actually a requirement to spend something like 16 weeks away from your foundational site. So people who did M1 and M2 in Seattle, might do family Medicine in rural Alaska, then surgery in Idaho, before they can return to Seattle.

When you travel a ways away for a rotation I'm pretty sure UW pays for the housing and it's all arranged for you, I know some sites give you a car while you're there and I heard of one paying for you food. The tuition goes up 11k in M3 and M4 and the overall COA increases 20k in M3 and M4, so that may account for the housing!

http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/applicants/wwami-first-year

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Basically, yes - there are 6 "foundational sites" where students spend the first 2 years. Then in M3 and M4 all students at any campus can travel around the 5 states and do their rotations anywhere. It's actually a requirement to spend something like 16 weeks away from your foundational site. So people who did M1 and M2 in Seattle, might do family Medicine in rural Alaska, then surgery in Idaho, before they can return to Seattle.

When you travel a ways away for a rotation I'm pretty sure UW pays for the housing and it's all arranged for you, I know some sites give you a car while you're there and I heard of one paying for you food. The tuition goes up 11k in M3 and M4 and the overall COA increases 20k in M3 and M4, so that may account for the housing!

http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/applicants/wwami-first-year

Thanks for the explanation.

PCOM and CCOM receive more applicants than most MD schools. I mentioned this in another thread but, I predict, in the next 5 years, most of the older DO schools will have "closed doors" at Christmas, where most of the class will be filled by January.

Those two DO schools may receive more applicants than most MD schools, but that may just be because there is a huge group of applicants that know that their MD chances are slim or they have MD-worthy stats, but are using DO schools as back ups (and presumably those with MD-worthy stats would be applying to the best DO schools as "safeties.'

Currently, if you are a competitive applicant, applying in December isn't considered late. The concept of DOs becoming a "backup option" won't exist in ~5 years, if not sooner, unless you want to go to the Virginias or Carolinas.

I disagree. I think that the concept of DO schools being a "backup option" will still exist in 5 years, and probably even 10+ years. From a pure cost standpoint, nearly all the public meds are MD, and that alone will cause many to have MD as a first choice. Even the private MD schools know that their yield is often compromised because a number of their acceptees will choose their lower cost instate public MD options.

Last edited:
Adding those subjects to official prereqs would be an excellent way to kill diversity and overall maturity of the medical classes, and it'd add much more scripted applications instead of the more REAL ones, as we all know true perfection is in the realm of Gods.

As someone who is currently in the cycle, yes, it's really bad and it's only going to get worse.

As another poster mentioned, demographics are very important. An applicant from Michigan and California each have very different experiences.
I have many friends with above average GPAs/MCATs that are getting pre-interview rejections from NYMC, Texas Tech, etc. It's honestly, a crap shoot. Go to the Harvard page here and you will see people with LizzyMs of 68,69,70 getting interview invites who are subsequently being rejected from their state schools. It's a crapshoot. More schools, I predict, will begin using the Casper system of testing ethics in order to add more level to the strainer and be even more selective of students.

Even for DO schools, the older schools have processes that are becoming just as competitive. Some schools are already very vocal and public about not interviewing anyone with a sub 30 MCAT irregardless of GPA (TouroNY, AZCOM, TouroCA etc.). PCOM and CCOM receive more applicants than most MD schools. I mentioned this in another thread but, I predict, in the next 5 years, most of the older DO schools will have "closed doors" at Christmas, where most of the class will be filled by January. Currently, if you are a competitive applicant, applying in December isn't considered late. The concept of DOs becoming a "backup option" won't exist in ~5 years, if not sooner, unless you want to go to the Virginias or Carolinas.

Finally, let's not forget to mention the MCAT, the new MCAT. It's become a killer test that's 7 hours long. The requirements have now included psychology, sociology, biochemistry, genetics, and physiology. This will squeeze out sooo many non-trads and older students, unfortunately, that would add soo much perspective and diversity to medical school classes. If you are an ESL student, like me, prepare for the worst, because this test has become almost insurmountable.