Is getting into an osteopathic school hard/prestigious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOCK time

This thread has obviously been saved from a lock.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand your curriculum that only leaves you with a month off for summer vacation :(

We have rads, micro II, intro path, and intro pharm in two mini summer sessions each about a month long with the 4-week break in the middle.

I don't understand your curriculum that only leaves you with a month off for summer vacation :(

He goes to Nova. The expectation is M1s will spend abundant amounts of time on the beach during the first semester. Therefore, Nova must take away some of their summer vacation.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have rads, micro II, intro path, and intro pharm in two mini summer sessions each about a month long with the 4-week break in the middle.

But why do you even need to pack those classes into the summer? I guess I'm asking why our curriculum can allow us 3.5 months off and still cover the same material

The part I'm not looking forward to.

Best drinking game is any version of Mario kart. Everyone starts a fresh beer at the beginning of a race. Before you hit the finish line you must finish your beer. However, you can't drink while driving. Whoever finishes the race last or fails to finish their beer before finishing the race has to play again.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

:confused:
I demand a detailed explanation of this game.

If I'm driving, and I can't drink while driving, how can I drink at all during the race?

Please respond, and stay safe.

He goes to Nova. The expectation is M1s will spend abundant amounts of time on the beach during the first semester. Therefore, Nova must take away some of their summer vacation.

I've studied by the pool several times, but never the beach.... not yet, at least. :cool:

But why do you even need to pack those classes into the summer? I guess I'm asking why our curriculum can allow us 3.5 months off and still cover the same material

No idea, Nova ftw? :smuggrin:. Perhaps you have more formal classes in path and pharm your M2 year. We have those intro courses during the summer, then we have real path and pharm throughout M2 year.

The part I'm not looking forward to.

But you can study on the beach or by the pool... and be damn proud because you're in the US! :cool: :smuggrin:

Also maybe dif length of winter/spring breaks? Doesn't M1 year start early for y'all too?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I own ALL versions of Nintendo since the original NES!!! These thing became big hits at our parties in grad school. Lol. Ever gotten drunk and played Nintendo? Haha.

I have a ton of games for each. They are my prized possessions. Lol.

Drunken Mario Party leads to good times. And occasionally broken glass :eek:

Yep. Don't go DO. You probably wouldn't be happy as a DO so don't waste the spot when someone out there is dying to have it. Try again next year, but only apply to MD programs.

But I have to ask. If you didn't get a single MD interview, why do you think you are short changing yourself?

Haha I thought the exact same thing.

But seriously OP please don't go if you feel that way. There are plenty of good students out there who would gladly take your spot, and you can always apply exclusively to MD schools next year.

Haha I thought the exact same thing.

But seriously OP please don't go if you feel that way. There are plenty of good students out there who would gladly take your spot, and you can always apply exclusively to MD schools next year.

AAAHHHHH toxic nice to see you. You just hit 666 posts. Better change that soon!

I've studied by the pool several times, but never the beach.... not yet, at least. :cool:

No idea, Nova ftw? :smuggrin:. Perhaps you have more formal classes in path and pharm your M2 year. We have those intro courses during the summer, then we have real path and pharm throughout M2 year.

But you can study on the beach or by the pool... and be damn proud because you're in the US! :cool: :smuggrin:

If they are intro courses to the real deal, I guess I can't complain then. I am going to be dreading classes like pharm, and any bit of foundation would be great for me. Seems like Nova put some nice thought into what they're doing.

I'm gonna be soaking up that weather every day. NJ weather has been awful this year.

AAAHHHHH toxic nice to see you. You just hit 666 posts. Better change that soon!

Haha thanks... I've been spending less time on here for sure but... there are some threads I just can't resist posting on (like that stupid DO derm one).

Members don't see this ad :)
610e533301510b4fc5713c3f1d95b671.jpg

Discuss.

I'm going to go with '91, but I truly respect his revolution to the present. However, he did take a step back in the late 80s.

The '85 has a beautiful mustache that cannot go unmentioned.

(I'm sure threadstarter has been properly put in his place, but I'll play.)

... relative to what?

Generally speaking, yeah, it's hard. I have friends that are clamoring for DO spots as we speak.

Compared to MD schools? No, it's not usually as tough. AMCAS just isn't as forgiving with grades and the average MCAT score is going to be higher. And LOR requirements tend to be more stringent (BCP/BCPM only versus other sciences).

lol if you applied to DO schools and didn't really want to go though. please withdraw so one of my friends can take your place.

Drunken Mario Kart parties where Miller High Life and Doritos are served are awesome. Red turtle shells complete the trifecta of video game nirvana.

DO schools have a few hundred extra hours of OMM training than MD schools that have none at all, so you would have less time to play Mario Kart. If Mario Kart is important to you, please do yourself a solid and go to MD school. If you're into Metroid, that game takes years to finish, so definitely go to an MD school.

Drunken Mario Kart parties where Miller High Life and Doritos are served are awesome. Red turtle shells complete the trifecta of video game nirvana.

DO schools have a few hundred extra hours of OMM training than MD schools that have none at all, so you would have less time to play Mario Kart. If Mario Kart is important to you, please do yourself a solid and go to MD school. If you're into Metroid, that game takes years to finish, so definitely go to an MD school.

What of i'm interested in doing Mario related research?

What of i'm interested in doing Mario related research?
DO schools are more likely to be in more rural areas, and thus your chance of wearing overalls and a red hat are higher. This association does not automatically mean that Mario-related research would be found there, but the use of mini-kart-like ATVs by people wearing such clothing along with the environment that is good for turtles and other reptiles in the areas where most of the DO schools are logically should provide ample opportunities for research in such areas.

That's all I've got...

If I'm driving, and I can't drink while driving, how can I drink at all during the race?

Ummm, maybe stop driving? lol
makes you have to drink as quickly as possible and strategically choose when you will drink in order to finish first.

Also, I just set up my N64 about a month ago and love it. Mario kart and super smash bros all dayyyy... but get this, super smash bros and a few other games are now considered classics and can go for as much as 70 dollars on eBay!!! wild.

You have to put the controller down while you drink. There are various strategies. Mine is to chug the whole beer (shotgunning/funnels/paint sticks are not allowed) right when the race starts. Mario Kart on WII tends to help the players in last place with good items so that you can catch up pretty easily.

You have to put the controller down while you drink. There are various strategies. Mine is to chug the whole beer (shotgunning/funnels/paint sticks are not allowed) right when the race starts. Mario Kart on WII tends to help the players in last place with good items so that you can catch up pretty easily.

I'm so glad other people play this.

Ahh I get it. :thumbup:Gonna try it tonight.

d5e.jpg

[YOUTUBE]w2NjUDfOp2o[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
If they are intro courses to the real deal, I guess I can't complain then. I am going to be dreading classes like pharm, and any bit of foundation would be great for me. Seems like Nova put some nice thought into what they're doing.

I'm gonna be soaking up that weather every day. NJ weather has been awful this year.

I can imagine so. Hopefully you didn't get hit too terribly.

I call them intro courses to the real deal because M2 year is all about path and pharm of everything. So I think it is a good adaptation to the curriculum to better prepare us for what is to come. As for pharm, I don't think it is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Learning these tough topics in a clinical context helps makes sense of the big picture. Plus, for many of the drugs the ending is a dead giveaway of what it does, as long as you can associate it with a clinical scenario. All comes with repetition.