Is getting your EMT-B training as good/better than just volunteering w/ patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad.

i got my emt-b last summer. I am not really sure if it helped me out all that much, but i was asked about it in my interviews. It was fun and I don;t think it could hurt you any at all.

Sorry...I must also tell you that I did an internship at a hospital that was awesome and invloved direct contact with patients and residents and I think that helped me out a lot more.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on if you need the money. Medical experience is medical experience, and adcoms won't fault you if you were paid for it.

well here is my situation. I might have to re-apply this spring if I dont get in this year. My emt-b course wouldn't start until June anyways....so would it help me to get it. Would I put on my application I am planning on getting my emt-b or in the process of. Because the applications are avialbe in May..correct? I want to get ti for experience...but i can also go volunteer at a clinic during those hours and work and get to know patients as well. any thoughts? thanks

I think you'll learn more if you become an EMT. I was both an EMT in college as well as an orderly in the ED. Nothing can compare to the hands on learning (as well as didactics) that you'll get. Also, it will look better on your application to residency if you were an EMT compared to an orderly or patietn care tech.

Q, DO