Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Is getting your EMT-B training as good/better than just volunteering w/ patients?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by theDr., Apr 26, 2004.

1. theDr.

theDr. Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the info.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. biodork444

biodork444 Member
    7+ Year Member

i got my emt-b last summer. I am not really sure if it helped me out all that much, but i was asked about it in my interviews. It was fun and I don;t think it could hurt you any at all.

4. biodork444

biodork444 Member
    7+ Year Member

Sorry...I must also tell you that I did an internship at a hospital that was awesome and invloved direct contact with patients and residents and I think that helped me out a lot more.

5. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It depends on if you need the money. Medical experience is medical experience, and adcoms won't fault you if you were paid for it.

6. theDr.

theDr. Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

well here is my situation. I might have to re-apply this spring if I dont get in this year. My emt-b course wouldn't start until June anyways....so would it help me to get it. Would I put on my application I am planning on getting my emt-b or in the process of. Because the applications are avialbe in May..correct? I want to get ti for experience...but i can also go volunteer at a clinic during those hours and work and get to know patients as well. any thoughts? thanks

7. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I think you'll learn more if you become an EMT. I was both an EMT in college as well as an orderly in the ED. Nothing can compare to the hands on learning (as well as didactics) that you'll get. Also, it will look better on your application to residency if you were an EMT compared to an orderly or patietn care tech.

Q, DO