Is getting your EMT-B training as good/better than just volunteering w/ patients?

biodork444

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
west hartford, ct
Status
i got my emt-b last summer. I am not really sure if it helped me out all that much, but i was asked about it in my interviews. It was fun and I don;t think it could hurt you any at all.

biodork444

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
west hartford, ct
Status
Sorry...I must also tell you that I did an internship at a hospital that was awesome and invloved direct contact with patients and residents and I think that helped me out a lot more.

About the Ads

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
California
Status
Attending Physician
It depends on if you need the money. Medical experience is medical experience, and adcoms won't fault you if you were paid for it.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 22, 2002
Visit site
Status
well here is my situation. I might have to re-apply this spring if I dont get in this year. My emt-b course wouldn't start until June anyways....so would it help me to get it. Would I put on my application I am planning on getting my emt-b or in the process of. Because the applications are avialbe in May..correct? I want to get ti for experience...but i can also go volunteer at a clinic during those hours and work and get to know patients as well. any thoughts? thanks

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2000
Wisconsin
Visit site
Status
I think you'll learn more if you become an EMT. I was both an EMT in college as well as an orderly in the ED. Nothing can compare to the hands on learning (as well as didactics) that you'll get. Also, it will look better on your application to residency if you were an EMT compared to an orderly or patietn care tech.

Q, DO

About the Ads