Is hearing aid stigma a thing in medical school/admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted895369

Unfortunately, my ability to hear in certain situations has been getting worse over the past few years to the point where I will be getting my first pair of hearing aids :mad:

This may seem like a stupid over-thinking question, but I'm trying to determine if I should get a color that hides the aids as much as possible, or if I can safely go with a color that doesn't match my hair (nothing outlandish, btw!)

On one hand, I don't care if people around me know that I wear hearing aids. I think the more people are open about hearing loss in young adults, the more that we can fight against the stigma of hearing loss.

However, I'm not sure how this will fare in medical school, particularly in the admissions process. If an ADCOM notices that I wear hearing aids, will this be counted against me? Should I do everything in my power to hide the fact that I wear them during interviews?
(Side note: my hearing loss is not something that should interfere with any responsibilities I may have as a physician)

I'm probably just overthinking this. I just don't want this to be something that hurts me in the admissions process.

Members don't see this ad.

We only make fun of you when we're out of ear shot... ;)

Seriously, it's not a big deal. Most won't even notice.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
1) If an ADCOM notices that I wear hearing aids, will this be counted against me?
2) Should I do everything in my power to hide the fact that I wear them during interviews?
1) No. But, it might be counted against you if you couldn't comprehend the interview questions due to not wearing them.

2) No one will care any more than if you use corrective lenses, hair extensions, or orthodontic braces. Unless maybe they're purple, which would be an interesting fashion statement.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be judged like any other applicant. There are people with hearing loss in medical school. One of my co-residents during training had a cochlear implant and had to change out the batteries every so often. It takes him a second and no one notices or cares (including his patients). He even gave us a great talk about caring for patients with hearing loss. By being open about your experiences, you may ultimately help your future colleagues become better doctors. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
No one will (or at least they shouldn't) discriminate against you for wearing hearing aids. If they did, would you even want to go to a school who hired people like that? Maybe add these schools to your list if they're not already:

Unfortunately, my ability to hear in certain situations has been getting worse over the past few years to the point where I will be getting my first pair of hearing aids :mad:

This may seem like a stupid over-thinking question, but I'm trying to determine if I should get a color that hides the aids as much as possible, or if I can safely go with a color that doesn't match my hair (nothing outlandish, btw!)

On one hand, I don't care if people around me know that I wear hearing aids. I think the more people are open about hearing loss in young adults, the more that we can fight against the stigma of hearing loss.

However, I'm not sure how this will fare in medical school, particularly in the admissions process. If an ADCOM notices that I wear hearing aids, will this be counted against me? Should I do everything in my power to hide the fact that I wear them during interviews?
(Side note: my hearing loss is not something that should interfere with any responsibilities I may have as a physician)

I'm probably just overthinking this. I just don't want this to be something that hurts me in the admissions process.
Nope. I have had 1 or 2 profoundly hearing impaired students.

No one will (or at least they shouldn't) discriminate against you for wearing hearing aids. If they did, would you even want to go to a school who hired people like that? Maybe add these schools to your list if they're not already:
Fascinating. I have not encountered a profoundly hearing impaired med student. Are they able to ausculate with the aid of special stethoscopes? Can people with cochlear implants use a regular stethoscope? I imagine it would be difficult to examine patients on clinicals without it. Regardless, hearing aids would not be an issue for me during an interview. Good luck OP and best wishes!