Is IM anything like how they portray in Scrubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yonko Shanks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I am interested in IM. I was just wondering if IM anything like they portray it on the television show Scrubs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there, I am interested in IM. I was just wondering if IM anything like they portray it on the television show Scrubs?

Yes. And surgery is exactly the way they portray it in Gray's Anatomy. And Diagnostitology is exactly how they portray it in House (i.e....not a real thing).

But frankly, Scrubs is the least unrealistic medical show (at least the original one was) on TV.

Take out all the crazy funny parts and it's pretty close. I remember one episode during the 1st season where JD describes rounds as a quiz show where you try and show up your fellow contestants....I mean classmates. That's actually kinda true during medical school when you have the gunner in your group who answers questions when it's very obvious the Attending is asking another student or resident the question.

One aspect of the show I liked a lot (and it's not exclusive to just Scrubs) is how you can follow JD's confidence level as he completes his residency. It's really incredible to see the jump in intelligence, confidence, efficiency, etc. from an intern to a senior resident to a fellow. They keep telling me I'll get to that point in time, and I'm just hoping they are right. Scrubs is still one of my favorite shows, and like JD, I too have taken food from a patient (but I asked permission first). :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No, television shows are nothing like real life, for pretty much any profession. If you are curious what medicine is like to really practice, you should try to find some experiences shadowing a physician or volunteering in a hospital.

But frankly, Scrubs is the least unrealistic medical show (at least the original one was) on TV.

I know, the janitor just won't leave me alone.

But seriously, the first few seasons did a good job of portraying the isolating feeling of medical training, but I doubt it was all that specific to IM versus any other inpatient based field.

At a NYC IM program I interviewed at I asked a couple residents about relationship between residents and support staff and they immediately looked at each other and they very uncomfortably said there was a janitor who they always stayed clear of.

I actually find Scrubs surprisingly right on key with the real world in hospital medicine, about 70% of the time. And I'm serious. Main difference is, we spend most of our time doing social work rather than learning/practicing medicine.