Is Inflation Affecting Your Sub-fellowship Plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cardiac Amyloidosis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title is self-explanatory. Is anyone considering just doing general cards and making money now that the economy is going to ****? I’m losing motivation to sub-specialize by the day it seems like.

Members don't see this ad.

Title is self-explanatory. Is anyone considering just doing general cards and making money now that the economy is going to ****? I’m losing motivation to sub-specialize by the day it seems like.
I’m a rheumatologist and not a cardiologist, but I wouldn’t have done a fellowship under current economic conditions. Stack that cash for when this whole house of cards comes crashing down (inevitable at this point).

Reactions: 1 users
Hospital employment has been a godsend for general cardiology.

At least in my region total pay difference is fairly negligible with the hourly pay significantly in the generalists favor. Add in the 1-2 of lost opportunity years and the likelihood of a longer career as well. I wouldn’t ever talk someone into iC or Ep for such reasons… though theoretically job security 5-10-15 years might be higher with those

Members don't see this ad :)
Recession is temporary, a sub fellowship is a career.

That’s interesting, I can’t think of any other field that would say that about hospital employment.
Yeah, should clarify. Salary wise in comparison with interventional/ep.

But you’re right, hospital employment sucks.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an EP fellow, it's a completely different job than general cardiology and I can't imagine preferring general cardiology for making money sooner over doing what I'm doing. Life is more than money and you have to enjoy your day to day work. If you're only doing a subfellowship for the possibility of higher income then its probably not worth it.

Second yr cards fellow with some interest in interventional. But i still enjoy non invasiv/gen cards. Debating whether to go for IC. The lifestyle of IC to me is so not worth some extra bucks unless you absolutely love cath.

Stick to general. Plenty of market out there. Many places would let you cath if you prefer to. IMO doing cath and having back up IC if PCI needed doesn’t make sense.

Stick to general. Plenty of market out there. Many places would let you cath if you prefer to. IMO doing cath and having back up IC if PCI needed doesn’t make sense.

Not interested in interventional. Considering advanced HF or advanced imaging.

Not interested in interventional. Considering advanced HF or advanced imaging.
CHF is prob the better of the two imo for jobs. Can still do gen cards if you want and more centers are doing dt lvads

If we're talking about money and waning interest, gen cards is tough to beat vs a year of HF/imaging fellowship. Gen cards likely having better job prospects, similar pay and better lifestyle (compared to HF at least).

Reactions: 3 users