Is inservice studying enough for step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsurf83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I'm an EM intern and will be taking the inservice exam soon. I'm using Rosh review andPeer 9 qbank... Do you think I could use this plan to also take step 3 after the inservice? Do most of you all take Step 3 after inservice?

Members don't see this ad.

Questions are structured completely different and honestly if you don't use UWorld at least for the second day you will likely fail. The software is completely unintuitive and you need to practice being able to use it it prior to the test.

Last edited:
beyond the mechanics, is the medical knowlege of a strong inserrvice taker good enough for a passing step 3? assuming a > 250 step 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
beyond the mechanics, is the medical knowlege of a strong inserrvice taker good enough for a passing step 3? assuming a > 250 step 2?
Yes. As an emergency medicine resident, taking step 3 is very easy. Aside from opening the free practice questions program on the usmle website to familiarize myself with the interface, I didn't study at all and still passed easily.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah. Step 3 is cake. Use their practice test, don't pay for anything.

Step 3 is a piece of cake. I did 200 questions and tied my step 1 score.

I was unaware there was an official program for the second day. Mother ****er... it's not a hard test at all, just get used to the software for the second day.

Step 3 was ridiculously easy, I'm ashamed to have paid for uworld except for the ccs cases to familiarize myself with the software but you can get it for free on their website.

I skimmed through First Aid and did a few hundred practice questions. Apart from FM, EM is probably the best residency to prepare you for the content on the exam. I felt better going into the exam having run through some Day 2 style cases and having reviewed some primary care and OB stuff.

Despite having a good fund of knowledge, you could easily fail step 3 if you don't learn how to use the CCS software. So make sure you review the CCS software.

Agreed with the others - step 3 is cake, assuming you know how to play the game.
And by game, that's exactly what it is. Learn to play it, and you'll be fine as you are well prepared for the actual medicine part.