Is it a smart idea to keep pursuing a premed track if you are too stupid for premed classes as evidenced by your grades and this path has given you li

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was going through this same process, the best piece of advice I received was this:

"There are other jobs [besides medicine], and someone with your background and smarts could do a lot of good and get far. And I know you've heard it all before but I hope some simple truth will resonate for you in this: What you do for the rest of your life is about more than an inflated paycheck and a cool epithet. What do you wanna be when you grow up, a doctor, or happy?"

What really stuck out to me about your posts was how you seem to see pre-med and even medicine as a necessary evil. I hope moving forward, you can try to make decisions based less on what you "should" be doing and more around what you want to do. It sounds like DS fits that better than medicine right now. Plus, DS and econ both have awesome job opportunities (hit me up if you want to learn more about them, I used to work in that space.)

Lastly, a career isn't a stagnant thing. As you are exposed to more areas and topics, the exact professional niche that you'll want to fill will become more clear. Maybe that will bring you back to medicine one day (in either a DS, econ, or even clinical role. Who knows?) In the meantime, enjoy the journey of amassing experiences that are meaningful to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to update everyone, I will be dropping my summer biology course and forgetting about a career in healthcare for now. I've decided that my aversion to risk and poor mental health, along with, yes, my not so great science skills, doesn't make a career as a physician a good fit. I might pursue nursing or PA school down the line, but I'll be focusing on economics and data science for the rest of my undergraduate career.

Its better to make some decisions while you are in undergrad, you know if it is your calling... Some unfortunately find it out too late and fail after their second year, fail boards and get kicked out of med school- after they are drowning in student debt.

Reactions: 1 user
Its better to make some decisions while you are in undergrad, you know if it is your calling... Some unfortunately find it out too late and fail after their second year, fail boards and get kicked out of med school- after they are drowning in student debt.

Yes, I'm happy I didn't let it get to that stage. Maybe I just didn't have the resolve or passion for med school I thought I did coming into college. Oh well. What's done is done.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was going through this same process, the best piece of advice I received was this:

"There are other jobs [besides medicine], and someone with your background and smarts could do a lot of good and get far. And I know you've heard it all before but I hope some simple truth will resonate for you in this: What you do for the rest of your life is about more than an inflated paycheck and a cool epithet. What do you wanna be when you grow up, a doctor, or happy?"

What really stuck out to me about your posts was how you seem to see pre-med and even medicine as a necessary evil. I hope moving forward, you can try to make decisions based less on what you "should" be doing and more around what you want to do. It sounds like DS fits that better than medicine right now. Plus, DS and econ both have awesome job opportunities (hit me up if you want to learn more about them, I used to work in that space.)

Lastly, a career isn't a stagnant thing. As you are exposed to more areas and topics, the exact professional niche that you'll want to fill will become more clear. Maybe that will bring you back to medicine one day (in either a DS, econ, or even clinical role. Who knows?) In the meantime, enjoy the journey of amassing experiences that are meaningful to you.

I didn't really think medicine was a necessary evil as much as some premed courses were a necessary evil. And wait, you're a dental student right now so did you pivot from an unrelated role to dentistry?

I think you need to deal with your feelings, which may not be accurately reflecting reality. You were smart enough to make it. You chose a different path, which may be better for you, and you may feel some guilt over that. Remember, your feelings are not facts, they are perceptions and emotions. Take time to grieve, and then move on. Also remember, the decision you make now is not irrevocable; you can change your path later if you want to.

Reactions: 3 users
However, this decision wasn't an easy one to make and came with a lot of emotions (i.e. sadness, nostalgia, etc.) Does anyone have advice on how to cope? I can't help but feel like I wasn't smart enough to make it.
That’s why many of us have suggested counseling. Some people can make these choices and just move on but others need support and guidance on how to move forward. Please find someone you are comfortable with and that you trust and get the help you need. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.