Is it absolutely impossible to keep a car in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exmike

NOR * CAL
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

if by nyc, you mean manhattan, yeah, it's pretty much impossible...impossible to find parking. mt sinai is right next to the tracks, for better or worse, so it's all good.

Members don't see this ad :)
sure, if you add $250 (that's a pretty good monthly rate) for parking. Try not to register your car in NY, the insurance is rediculous. Also, remember, that's to park in one place. If you want to go somewhere in the city, you'd pay $17-30 to park there (unless you're really lucky). So, you're better off taking the subway or a cab - if you can't walk.

Basically, you're paying to park your car in the city for when you want to go out of the city.

Originally posted by finnpipette
if by nyc, you mean manhattan, yeah, it's pretty much impossible...impossible to find parking. mt sinai is right next to the tracks, for better or worse, so it's all good.

Said tracks do not have a stop anywhere near mt. sinai...those are the tracks for metro-north/amtrak. The closest subway is a few blocks away.

As for the car: forget about it. There is no way.

You can have a car in Queens, the Bronx, Staten Island and Brooklyn, but in Manhattan, monthly parking garages can run you $200+/month, lower if you know someone personally who has a parking spot.

I do know people who park regularly in the streets for free in Murray Hill, Upper West and East sides - just not brand new cars -and you have to deal with alternate side parking rules. The trend here is, if you want to get out of the city, you can easily rent a car or take the LIRR, Path or Metro North. Sometimes the city can get too hectic and you just want to hear birds chirping and see houses.

New Yorkers love the city, but they want to get away from it on weekends. Suburbanites (Long Islanders and Jersey people) try to be in the city on weekends.

Besides the hassle of parking, your car insurance rates will go up because you will be driving in the city so much. You definitely do not need a car for NYC. If you have a problem with walking or taking the subway, getting a cab everyday will still end up being cheaper then owning a car while paying for things like parking and maintenance/gas/car insurance in the city.

it's not imposssible to keep a car in the city, especially if your building has a garage, or can maybe give you a discount for parking in another garage. if you;'re living in dorms, it's a bit harder.

but here's a secret: make friends with the garage attendants. when my dad worked on the east side, he made friends with the guys in one garage, and they gave him discounted monthly parking. but that was after he worked there for a while, and was there every day.

it's kinda hard to find gas stations in the city though. i don't know why, but i've seen very few gas stations in the city.

impossible. i love right outside new york city, i would never EVER bring a car there. too expensive and too scary. much easier, safer, cheaper to use the subway.

I lived in the Bronx for awhile, and opposite side of the street parking is HELL. I basically never used my car except to move it to the other side of the street 4 times a week. Not worth the hassle.

if you're going to a school in manhattan, having a car is much more hindrance than help. public transit is excellent and taxis are cheap as hell around here. if you end up in NYC, its time to sell your ride ;)

Originally posted by DW
if you're going to a school in manhattan, having a car is much more hindrance than help. public transit is excellent and taxis are cheap as hell around here. if you end up in NYC, its time to sell your ride ;)

I worked at Weill, and I had no difficulties finding parking every day

Originally posted by DW

Sorry but where I'm from, cabs are much cheaper ;)

However, it's still much better than London...I think the living expense in general is the highest in the world.

Originally posted by idq1i
I worked at Weill, and I had no difficulties finding parking every day

At night it's a real hassle, even in the wild boondocks of Yorkville. :)

It's not impossible, but really a hassle, as noted. I sold mine after 18 months.

I live in midtown, and work at Weill. I can't even imagine trying to keep a car in Manhattan. Much much cheaper and easier and greater peace of mind having left my car behind in Georgia.

This is the first time that I have been without a car since I was 17 years old.

another sorta practical matter besides the logistics of parking is the cost of parking and insurance. the financial aid officer will be quick to tell you that your aid package will not include those expenses. i know several financial aid officers who point blank recommend you sell your car.

plus, there's enough stuff to deal with in med school....why add more hassle?

Exmike,

If this means your not going to join me at Case, then parking in NY is hell, and no car is possible.

On the other hand, if you want an honest answer, I parked my car on the street while I was in school there. Morningside drive, between 113th and 123rd street (or something). Opposite side of the street parking - had to move it twice a week for street sweeping. But it was worth it. My car was registered and insured in Ohio. Broken into three times on Morningside. The first time I lost about $500 on stereo gear. The last two times, just the back window. Even after those expenses (and a few tickets when i forgot to move it), I saved about $5000 over two years compared to a garage. And honestly, it wasn't hard to move it twice a week.

Where do you plan to park?

Judd

Originally posted by juddson
Exmike,

If this means your not going to join me at Case, then parking in NY is hell, and no car is possible.

On the other hand, if you want an honest answer, I parked my car on the street while I was in school there. Morningside drive, between 113th and 123rd street (or something). Opposite side of the street parking - had to move it twice a week for street sweeping. But it was worth it. My car was registered and insured in Ohio. Broken into three times on Morningside. The first time I lost about $500 on stereo gear. The last two times, just the back window. Even after those expenses (and a few tickets when i forgot to move it), I saved about $5000 over two years compared to a garage. And honestly, it wasn't hard to move it twice a week.

Where do you plan to park?

Judd

No, as far as I know I'm still headed to Case. I was just thinking last night about IF I got int/went to MSSM. I have a car down here in DC. It is registered in CA, and I would be a hassle to send it back there. I guess I was wondering if street parking was that bad. So you're saying there were streets without meters or time limitations you can park on in manhattan?

Not impossible, just unnecessary and prohibitively expensive.

Coops

it's worthwhile at Einstein, and probably at Suny Downstate. Columbia? forget it. Parking's a pain here. I know the downtown campus well enough, though. Morningside is a manageable place to keep a car. I don't know East Side well, but from what I can tell, it just probably isn't worth it. you're going to be 2 blocks from the bus or subway anyway.