Is it acceptable to finish remaining pre-reqs at CC after going to Univ.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topgun129

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to retake a BIO I and CHEM I and finish a few pre-reqs (calc, microbio, speech, and anatomy and phys.) Everything else I completed at Univ. level and have a bachelors.

Is it acceptable to go back to community college to finish up everything and apply although the bulk of my work has been done at the Univ. level.

The CC I'm thinking about going is of course a hella of a lot cheaper and closer to my home.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's nothing wrong with it, I did the same thing. No worries!

parabolic, you got into pharmacy school taking CC classes after going to a University?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took all the science pre-reqs (except for o. chem) at a CC got accepted this yr. Hope that helps.

Which pharmacy school and what was your overall GPA?

thanks for the replies so far. clears up the confusion quite a bit!

parabolic, you got into pharmacy school taking CC classes after going to a University?

I have yet to hear back from the school I applied to, but I was interviewed in February, and the school knows that I am taking the remainder of my prerequisites at a CC. It's not considered a negative on the application. Hopefully I'll get in :) but if I don't, it's not because those prereqs were taken at a CC.

I did it (though the "community college" I am attending is Purdue North Central, meaning it is associated with Purdue and not quite the same as a cc) and I have been accepted to my first choice. I really like going to this extension school - the classes are smaller and it's easier to talk to the professors.

I did the same thing. Have a bachelors in a different field (education) and then went back and finished pharm pre-reqs at a community college a few years later. I've been accepted to two schools out of three schools I have interviewed at (U of MN and MWU-CPG) and am anxiously awaiting the third school's (UNMC in Omaha) decision after having interviewed there on 2/29. It's a good option for those who have already earned a bachelor's degree in my opinion.

I did my undergrad at a 4 year university. Changed my career and did all my prereqs at cc basically and I got accepted for Fall 2008 class.

I also took some pre-reqs @ at community college AFTER getting my BS from a University and I was accepted.

I also took my science prereq's at CC after getting my business degrees at a university. I've been offered interviews everywhere that I've applied.

I really like going to this extension school - the classes are smaller and it's easier to talk to the professors.
I have to agree here, I certainly liked taking Ochem in a class of 25, rather than a massive lecture of 180+.