Is it acceptable to send schools an email about application updates/letter of interest, when you haven't received an interview yet?

idunnowhattonamemyself

2+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2018
I'm patiently waiting to receive more interview invites, but the last two schools I applied to haven't sent me an interview invite. One of these schools would be my top choice, so I am bummed to not hear back yet. I know it is early in the application cycle and I can hear back at any time, but I was curious if it would look favorable to send a letter of interest to the schools I'm interested in? Or, would this come off as pushy and annoying?

Though I haven't done a lot since submitting my application, I believe I am set to publish a paper in Spring 2021. I will be the first or second author of this paper. I think this sets me apart, so I would love to update the admissions committees about this addition.

So, should I send an application update/letter of interest to schools? If yes, when is the best time to do so? Now? Next month? Before post-December interviews are sent out?

aubreyjokes

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2012
Status
  1. Dentist
I would try to be able to list more than "I believe I am set to publish a paper" - maybe additional shadowing hours, volunteering, a class you've taken etc. A lot of people publish papers. The more you can list the more it will come across as an actual "update" and not pushy. I sent mine post Dec acceptance date (bc I hadn't gotten interviewed or accepted) and they wrote back and gave me an interview. Maybe consider waiting esp so you can add more to your update.

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads