Is it advisable to have a resident write a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tijames

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I shadow at a large hospital group, and almost all of my interaction is with residents. I am particularly close with one resident in the Orthopedics department, he is a second-year resident. Is he a viable LOR writer choice?

Members don't see this ad.

if you have a strong relationship with the resident and he/she actually knows you well, then i see no reason why not

I shadow at a large hospital group, and almost all of my interaction is with residents. I am particularly close with one resident in the Orthopedics department, he is a second-year resident. Is he a viable LOR writer choice?
Is this for DO schools that require one?

If not, then a letter from any physician (resident or attending) won't help you much

Is this for DO schools that require one?

If not, then a letter from any physician (resident or attending) won't help you much

for an MD program. I transferred from a small school to a huge school, from which i graduated. I'm not in touch with old profs from my small school, and i have two profs who would give good LORs from my granting institution. However, one is unreliable, so having this resident might be super helpful. Thoughts?