Is it all worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureNPharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all of you practicing pharmacists or people who have gone to pharmacy school or even current pharmacy students, is all this hard work worth it in the end? You guys already know how well you have to do in your pre-req's as an undergrad and how competitively stiff it is for us applicants, but I've heard stories of how once you are admitted into pharmacy school, the WORK really begins! I have no experience behind the counter and I'm of average intelligence probably, so I know I'm going to have to work really hard to do well in pharmacy school. Has anyone been in my situation and is all this lamenting and stressing over GPA's and the PCAT and then the NAPLEX really all worth it? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Mreh

If I had it to do over again, I might have chosen differently. Maybe

Honestly though the way it worked out I'm going to get the best of both worlds and thats awesome. So I'll do my job to the best of my ability and make my profession proud

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto Mountain!

Had I predicted I'd be doing what I'm doing 30 years ago, I'd have been surprised.

You might be surprised where your professional life will lead - but you gotta like the material first!!! Its not likely you'll like it at the end if you don't like it at the beginning....just my opinion.

Don't do it...not worth it at all.

It's worth it exponentially. If you can do organic chemistry, you can do anything. After that, the hard part was getting accepted.

Good luck!

It was absolutely worth it. After 3 years of prerequisite classes and 4 years of pharmacy school, I am very happy to be finally practicing pharmacy. Sometimes at work, I just get a big grin on my face.

I think it depends. If it's not something you really and truly want to do then it might not be worth it. I'm graduating in May and now that I'm on rotations I am the happiest that I've been in Pharmacy school. I'm planning on doing a residency and then a second year residency and for me it's all been worth it. I love this career but I had the same passion when I started so I guess it just depends on the person. I think there are a few in my class who wouldn't say it's worth it just because they don't really enjoy pharmacy.

I like what I'm doing....to an extent. I thoroughly enjoy counseling patients; however, I find it very stressful at times trying to squeeze in time to counsel in between verifying the 500+ scripts my store sees each day. I think I'd probably enjoy my job more if I could find a job in a smaller pharmacy - possibly an independent, but spots in small pharmacies are hard to come by where I live. :(

Oh yes, I remember that time. I was doubting all the way because I was bored with pharmacy school, all the pharmacy classes seemed boring and useless to me. I swear I felt a brain cell die every day, as I was expected to memorize enormous amounts of random facts I would never use, hardly ever having to think and analyze and otherwise use the higher brain function.

However, it has been very much worth it. I love what I do. I don't need a Pharm.D. to do what I do - but it would be much, much harder to obtain such a position otherwise.